1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on my wheels and tires please!

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by jwetovick, Jan 24, 2012.

1. jwetovick

jwetovick Member

Hello all. I'm trying to figure out which route to go with my mini. I currently am trying to sell my 23in atv tires and 12in aftermarket wheels after figuring out it does not provide the ride or power I thought they would. Asking $350 total for both wheels and tires and they are like brand new and can't get much interest for some reason on craigslist.
    Anyway, I'm trying to decide whether to go with the 12in super digger tires which will run me $305 to my doorstep to fit my stock wheels. OR, buy a set of 13in wheels from a junkyard and put on 155/80/13 tires?? Would be cheaper to go with the super diggers and not change out my wheels but Ive read many threads saying how much better the 13in wheels and tires ride than the stock. 13in tires are also much easier to find thats for sure! The biggest thing is I don't want to lose top end speed from stock too bad. I don't drive my mini all that much (wish had more time to) so the tires should last me a few years. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  2. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

I didn't lose any top end speed with 13" wheels and tires. What are "super digger" tires?

3. jwetovick

jwetovick Member

Thanks Ironraven. The super diggers are basically a mud/snow tire in stock size. G&R have them. Theres a pic of them floating around in one of these threads actually. I'd like to take the cheaper route but I also like the fact of availability of the 13in tires and can also find some cooler hub caps instead of having to look at that boring steel wheel!

4. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Here's a pic of my truck with 195/80 R13's on stock ride height. (Tires are 22.76" tall)

[​IMG]

I'm using 205/75 R14's now with a 2" lift in order to give me extra clearance for my plow and offroad use... that's a 26" tire :D

5. jwetovick

jwetovick Member

Those look pretty handy on there. I just still can't decide what to do. For no more than I actually get to use mine I'm thinking of just putting the new Bridgestone Super Diggers from G&R on the stock wheels and be done for a few years. I hate decisions like this thats why I'm open for some advice from anyone. Just wish i had the option to try different sizes out instead of buying them and then not likeing them and having to try and sell them for half the price I paid :(

6. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

You can probably get a set of 13" steelies at a junkyard with tires for next to nothing... I think I paid $20.00 each for mine. Hells, if you are anywhere near Duluth, MN I'd sell you my 13's for $40.00 for the set OR just let you put 'em on and drive around to see what you thought ...

7. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

FWIW I think the primary reason you lose so much power with ATV tires is the width. They're twice as wide as the stock pizza cutters and the tread lug is a lot deeper too. I didn't suffer too much with my ATV tires but then again I got DOT radial tires, not bias ply off road only tires.

8. jwetovick

jwetovick Member

Too bad I couldn't take off work and just make a road trip up to Duluth. haha. I'm down here in Nebraska so would be a good trip. I called junk yard and asked about some that would fit and they are wanting $45 per steel wheel. To me thats a rip off but maybe thats just the way it is??? I don't care how bad of shape they are i plan on sanding them down and just spray painting them camo anyhow.

9. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

You could always check craigslist... or make a wanted add on there. Most people don't advertise steelies because they figure nobody wants 'em.

10. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

I agree with Ironraven. Try Craigslist. If you're not picky, you should be able to find LOTS of 13" and 14" 4x100 wheels. Try using Searchtempest to do multi-city searches. www.searchtempest.com I just tried putting 4x100 in the search parameter and came up with a whole bunch of stuff. Also try "steel wheels" or "civic" or any other known car that came with 4x100 wheels (and there are a LOT of them...) :)

11. jwetovick

jwetovick Member

Thanks for the heads up acerguy. I'll try that. I need 4x115 wheels which makes it a tad tougher to find but il try looking them up this way. Thing that stinks is shipping. Takes almost more to ship that what they want for them. ha.

12. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

13. jwetovick

jwetovick Member

I seen those and they are really cool looking wheels. Only thing is I would have to then buy a deal to convert from 4x114.3 to 4x100. Still might be a cheaper option even if I have to do that?

14. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Yeah, that's a PITA... there's a dude who sells adapters... I forget who it was now?

15. jwetovick

jwetovick Member

Thats the deal. I have a 95 mits and from what im reading on the forum is I need 4x114.3.

16. BULLELK

BULLELK New Member

Can you post a picture of the ones for sale what tire are you running

17. jwetovick

jwetovick Member

wheels and tires

Tires are 23x8x12 BlackDiamond. Wheels are the STI c7 12in.

Attached Files:

18. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Wow, those are aggressive! I like 'em!

19. jwetovick

jwetovick Member

Yes they are. I have just found myself driving more around town to and from work and less off road and obviously they are no good for that. I actually have only been able to test them one time last summer in some mudd and the ol mini crawled right through as you would all expect! ha. Love this rig.