1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adjusting Automatic Choke

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Andrew.r.w, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Andrew.r.w

Andrew.r.w Member

I brought home unit 2 last night, my second Sambar. This morning it wouldn't start and I suspect the automatic choke is not set up right.

Anyone have any tips on getting that set correctly?

2. Andrew.r.w

Andrew.r.w Member

I had a close look at the auto choke and I'm thinking it is OK. It's closed when the engine is cold, and after starting it opens a little, maybe 20% or so. Then as the engine warms it goes full open. This seems like proper behaviour so I'm back to wondering what is wrong.

After the truck sits for many hours (12 for example) and it's quite cold out (-5°C) it won't start. I don't know what magic combination of cranking and gas pedal does it, but eventually it comes to life. There is a serious risk of running the battery down. New plugs, wires, etc. Runs smoothly and has what I think is normal power. When warm it idles well and starts right away.

Could there be a lean mixture issue? The thing was dialed in for Air Care in Vancouver (sea level) and I'm at 2,500 asl in a place where Air Care doesn't apply. Any ideas will be appreciated.