1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acty rear axles

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by Minitruckin93, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Minitruckin93

Minitruckin93 New Member

I recently rebuilt my ha4 rear axles. From what I read it is a real pain to get the outboard part of the axle out of the bearings. Since I wasn’t replacing the bearings I just left the outboard piece in the hub so I didn’t need to press it out. Just pulled the axle out of the diff, pulled the retaining clip out of the outboard section, removed the axle and rebuilt at the bench. I also didn’t find it necessary to unhook the brake line. Hopefully this helps someone else.

Attached Files:

Adam C Spry likes this.
  2. Bert Stevens

Bert Stevens Active Member

some one correct me if I am misinformed. . . I was taught that the pieces of a CV joint are matched. like the Race of a Bearing. you can not put them back any place. you have to replace all together with new, or keep parts together when cleaning and lubing. I have packed many a front wheel bearing. I learn the hard way once rebuilding a transmission that came to me disassembled. Had a 50-50 change of get the main output bearing paired up right, when putting it back together. I got them wrong, they only lasted 6 months. So it my understanding that when taking apart a CV joint that you should be Every Careful to get it all back the way it came out.

3. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

The CV joints do wear in and shouldn’t be mixed up.

4. Minitruckin93

Minitruckin93 New Member

Maybe you misunderstood my post. I didn’t put a new axle in an old cv housing. I had torn cv boots so I marked and disassembled the existing axles, cleaned and reassembled with new cv boots.

5. trktrd

trktrd Active Member

Did you have to unbolt from the leaf springs? I also have boots to replace that I have been putting off.

6. Minitruckin93

Minitruckin93 New Member

Yes you have to unbolt the leaf springs in order to force the axle far enough to one side to get the cv out of the diff. Getting the cv out of and back into the diff is the trickiest part, there’s very little clearance. As far as swapping the boots it’s pretty straight forward. Search YouTube for “rebuilding atv rear axle” the process is exactly the same.

Adam C Spry and trktrd like this.
  7. Bobby Eubanks

Bobby Eubanks New Member

Does anyone have a part # for the outside rear CV joint or rebuild kit?