1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acty Attack

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by moonshine, Nov 29, 2020.

1. moonshine

moonshine New Member

Hey all,

New to the forums! In the process of purchasing an acty. I'm in an area right now where I won't really need highway speeds (>55mph) but I'm somewhat concerned that if I want to cruise at 50mph that i'll be putting too much strain on the engine. Is the top speed truly 91km/h at 7500? If I put some larger tires (w/o a lift), would the allow a more comfortable cruising speed of 50mph?

I plan on using the truck to get around town, lightcommute, and a dive truck. I want a vehicle I won't really have to worry about keeping clean/dry...

I felt pretty certain about an attack since it has the ultralow gears. I figured in the future I'd want to do a little bit of off-roading type of activities.

Am I better off just getting a 5speed 4wd? I’ve been having a hard time finding a sambar....especially a S/C’d one.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Particularly from the the Attack owners out there!

Thanks!

2. ShawnC

ShawnC Member

I'm new as well and I have a 1995 suzuki carry. I dont think it is just the accty that would max at the speeds you are talking about. I dont like taking my Carry over 80kph because it sounds as if its about maxed out. I dont have a tach but these little trucks are not made for speed. I drive mine around town but I stay off highway/freeways or major roads where I would get blown off the road.

3. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Moonshine, please go to the blue field at the top of the page, click on the blue link, and put the information on your rig, in the signature field of your profile.

It makes it lots easier on the guys when you need help to know a few specifics about your rig. Plus we are all curious about what folks are running.

Thanks, Jigs.

4. SAITCHO

SAITCHO Active Member

Bigger tire wont give you a better top speed. The engine does not have enough torque to net you any gains with bigger wheels. Personally I would not feel safe driving on highway. If you get in an accident your legs will act as the crumple zone. There is not a lot of stuff between your knees and the front bumper.

Limestone likes this.
  5. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

Moonshine,
    I agree with jigs!
    Limestone

6. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

I’ll second Saitcho. With the stock tires my Hijet could pull 70-mph, in fifth gear (Overdrive), according to the GPS speedo I installed. Since I did the lift and went with taller tires, I top out at 50-55-mph, on the same long flat stretch of road. It will go faster downhill, or with a tail wind, but it is running out of torque and just cant get it self above 55 without some help, and I rarely get to use the 5th gear.

Now, your rig being what it is, it might have a higher numeric axle ratio, but not by much. And, you might gain a little top end with slightly taller tires.

7. Limestone

I also agree with SAITCHO! Great point!
    Limestone

8. moonshine

moonshine New Member

no problem! Done!

9. moonshine

moonshine New Member

I don’t plan on driving this on the highway. There are no real highways in Guam. The main road has a speed limit of 35mph but no one ever goes that speed. I plan on driving around 40-45mph tops. I think I felt like I needed to drive 50 to stay with traffic and not get rear ended or tailed. But I’ve seen a fair amount of kei trucks on the island and they seem to go their own speed and everyone else adjusts. I can’t wait to get mine! Delivery on the 2nd of January. I think I’m gonna preemptively buy a bunch of extra parts from Yokohama. Definitely gonna get a wire wheel for rust and try to recoat the undercarriage, then bed liner. Anyone use raptor liner?

10. Limestone

moon,
    Thanks for posting your Sig. The wire wheel is a great Idea! I never used Raptor Liner, but I'm extremely happy with, Eastwoods, Encapsulator, in Black! You can even put it over lightly rusted, or semi rusted metal! I never tried it over, heavily, rusted metal. It just didn't make any sense to me! I've tested it out on several projects, and I'm extremely happy with it! Good Luck!
    Limestone

11. ShawnC

ShawnC Member

Moonshine, I just finished using raptor liner on my entire suzuki carry. The key is to prep really good. It took me 3 days to sand, clean, and tape and only about two hours to spray the truck. So far I've been very happy with the raptor liner. Make sure your compressor is large enough to carry the load. I bought one of the raptor rattle cans for touch up and it does not go on near as well as using the gun but adequate for touch ups. Watch all the YouTube videos for raptor liner and you will be good to go. Attached are before and after.

Attached Files:

Limestone likes this.
  12. ShawnC

ShawnC Member

I also used a 6 in 180 nylon cup brush on a rotary buffer instead of sandpaper for most of the truck which sped up the prep process.

13. moonshine

moonshine New Member

Dude! That’s exactly what I was gonna do! But I’ve been going back and forth. For me it’s a lot of up front cost. I’d have to buy a compressor....I really want to use raptor lining for the bed. But after seeing so many vids on raptor lining the entire car, it’s got me real revved up. It seems pretty permanent though and a real PIA if you wanted to change it.

Also, it’s wicked hot here in Guam. I wonder if black raptor liner would get the truck real hot instead of a lighter color. I’m gonna start a build thread when I get the truck. Can’t wait!

14. ShawnC

ShawnC Member

Maybe you can find some one who will rent you a compressor instead of buying one? I was lucky and had a buddy who let me use his and his shop.

Guam is hot, I was there for a couple days about 15 years ago. I use the truck in Fla and South Carolina and it is HOT here too, that is why I had to have a truck with AC.

Raptor has several colors to choose from or you can buy the tintable and go to any paint store and choose your own color. 4 bottles of the tintable will be enough for you to cover the entire truck with several coats. Good luck