1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ac recharge?

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Shedhunter, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Shedhunter

Shedhunter New Member

My Ac lost all it's cold air. Not sure if it has a small leak or if a fuse blew. I can't hear or fill the Ac kick on when I push the button. Any trouble shooting tips? Can I put r134a in this thing?

2. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

I have a Suzuki and have done a lot of wrenching on the ac system.
    First thing to do is determine either, or, like you asked. Pull the black cap at the refill location and depress the valve for a full second. There should be a lot of pressure in there, not just a little. If you can empty the system in just a few seconds...that's the problem.

If so, I have figured out that the leak points on these trucks are the "outside" line mounting points (under the straps). Start removing straps to find corrosion. If nothing too obvious, use a leak detector. All auto parts outlets carry these supplies now a days. The leak detector, or leak stop is yellow (or other) and can be easily seen as it leaves the system. Any of the lines can be removed easily for final pressure check and repair at a rad-repair-shop. Had mine tiged-up in a number of spots. Also, the system's lines are sectional so, if you happen to strip a joint, you can just go to the next joint for removal, bring in both sections, and have the previous striped section tiged together at the same time.

I started out with my truck just refilling it. Then again the next spring, then again two months later, then it wouldn't hold at all. Since my line repairs last spring, 14 months a go, still blows cold air.

Refrigerant?
    Just use the cans that you can now find at ANY auto supply outlet. They are compliant with all the regulations and are certified for use in ALL ac systems with NO conversions....that's right, ALL systems...again, so I don't get any "ya buts"...ALL ac systems...

Once you get the leaks figured out, if you haven't used a can of the leak-stop/detect, put one in before the refrigerant as it will condition the seals in the pump and the rest of the system as well (line-joint-seals).

Amount?
    Check the tags...my system called for 12oz...cans are 6oz..
    My final charging I put one 6oz can of leak-stop (not all sealer-refrigerant WITH sealer in it) and one 6oz can of refrigerant...12oz
    Compressor came on as the second can started to go in. Make sure that it's set to come on as you are filling it.

I still get ice cold air from last spring's charge(2011)...:cool:

3. Hogzilla171

Hogzilla171 New Member

Hi sir I have a Suzuki 98 Carry would it be equivalent to the same capacity as what you have on yours? Thanks.