1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AC in heat

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by jtpc, Jun 24, 2009.

1. jtpc

jtpc Member

Hey guys,

Its now been 100 degrees here for the past few days and it appears my truck's A/C can't quite keep up. Is this typical or should I check to see if the AC needs recharged?

~Josh

2. starpuss

starpuss Member

keep your windows closed/& air vent by your feet and it should keep up.

3. jtpc

jtpc Member

Yeah, I just checked the A/C system and it is fully charged, so that wasn't the issue. Guess 100F+ just is too hot for these little guys.
    It seems the AC system on both minitrucks I've had (subaru and daihatsu) is an on/off system. As in, when you have the AC on, it kinda kicks on and off every so many seconds and you can notice the power change when it is active and when it is being dormant for a few seconds. So perhaps this is why it is not as effective as a traditional car's AC.

4. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

Last summer I had a Daihatsu with ac with and a full charge, it would keep you cool if you had the vents on you but not cold in cab. If you had the windows tinted that would help a 100 %. Made a lot of difference on my big truck.
    It was 104 at the house today. To much cement and pavement around I guess. The ac in the house kicks on at about 2pm and stays on till 8pm. Just had the ac serviced, ac tech. said it was ok. Its just plan ass hot.

5. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

i had mine last summer, anything above 100* was just a miserable experience. the windows are not UV (as far as i know). i took it and had it serviced and recharged and thought all would be well. i was mistaken. there just didn't seem to be enough insulation in the cab to keep the heat out. the a/c blew very cold at the vents but the heat was just more than the a/c could fight. the only way i could see the a/c working better would be to insulate the top of the cab, the back, the bottom and tint the windows. you have to keep in mind it's not just hte heat from the day, it's the fact that you are sitting on top of the motor and radiator. heat rises, and you have just sheet metal and some rubber mats trying to keep the heat out.

6. jtpc

jtpc Member

Thanks Milt. I do have dark tint, but guess I won't be driving it much in this heat.

7. Whats this A/C thing :p

All i got is headlight vents and windows. And im in the tropical part of Australia.

8. starpuss

starpuss Member

open the windowns and drive real fast. well fast for a mini , and you should be ok. now if you stuck in rush hrs well then your ****ed! buy a dc fan from a old bus lol

9. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

make sure your vents are set to the right place to. noticed tonight on the way home i have to have the vents on floor, floor and defrost, or just defrost to get any heat. dash and variants are vent only. no heat out of them. could be same for your a/c

10. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

one more thing i should add to this... i noticed on really hot days when i was in the garage or under the covered parking at work my a/c worked really well. but if i parked outside and the interior got really hot (the plastic dash) the vents would blow warm air as the entire system of vents and tubes was well over 120* from sitting in the sun with the windows up. maybe one of those reflective windshield covers would be beneficial & keeping the windows cracked open a bit when parked would give you a headstart on keeping cool.

11. mcbride68camaro

mcbride68camaro New Member

I noticed the same thing in our 04 carry. the a/c just doesn't do well in the heat. We have been having some warm temps here in OK lately for sure.

The newer body style trucks seem to have a better quality a/c system the older style trucks.

12. bronco351

bronco351 New Member

I have a 90 hijet and A/C works awesome in 100 degree weather. Ice cold all the time. The only time it looses cool is if I am at idle for extended periods of time. Once I start moving, it is ice cold again.
    I assume you guys are setting the lever to recycle not fresh air?

13. Ernies Imports

Ernies Imports New Member

Mine is a 93 daihatsu with air.

How much freon do they hold, or is it R4 ?

I still have a can of it somewhere in the garage.

14. Should be R134A, I haven't had one come in yet that took the old stuff. Typically they only require half a can, a full can at the very most.

15. Ernies Imports

Ok I went to the auto parts store & bought some R134A

The adapter fits all my other cars , but it wont fit the mini truck.

16. What? that's strange, are you using the little cheapy adapter that you just screw into the top of the can? If so, that's all I've ever used, popped right onto the low pressure side and away we went. I've had trucks come in older than yours and all were R134A, can you maybe take a pic?

17. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

I thought they were all R12? Thats probably why. Get an adapter from R12 fitting to 134A and you should be set.

-Greg

18. Ernies Imports

Ill try the adapter method if napa has one
    Thanks Ernie

19. greg0187

FYI... Technically speakiing if it is R12 then to convert your system you are meant to flush the system, replace the seals, and replace the oil. But I have had good luck with just adding the adapters and filling with 134a.

-Greg

20. Sounds like Greg might have something there, As far back as 92 I've never had one come in that wasn't R134A but I've certainly not "seen it all" so that sounds like a pretty good idea to me

21. Ernies Imports

Ok, I found the spot where you would add the r134, on top of the compressor.
    However, the threaded nozzle is way to small for the injector that came with the 134 can.
    What adapter do we need?
    Ernie

22. The small one is the high pressure side of the AC, The larger adapter the R134 plugs into is on the low pressure side, just follow the lines and see if you can locate a larger adapter.

23. greg0187

An easy way to tell between 134 or 12 is the high and low side ports on R12 will be threaded on the outside, the 134 are coupler/quick connect type. You should be able to buy adapters at most autoparts stores.

24. Ernies Imports

Yes, the 2 ports that I have are threaded.
    And they are located on top of the compressor, they are side by side.

so... that means it takes freon, which I have 2 cans of in the garage.
    However how much do I put in, or will R134 work mixed in with freon?
    Thanks Ernie

25. greg0187

IMO they are both freon just different types. If you are going to put 134 in then I would empty it first. If you have r12 and you have the tool for it then I would just put that in.