1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A way to decode the suzuki VIN (Frame Number)

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by t_g_farrell, Sep 1, 2021.

1. t_g_farrell

t_g_farrell Active Member

So I was looking for a way to decode the VIN on my new to me Suzuki Every van. Turns out you can get the info easily from the partsouq.com website by putting your frame number in and clicking a small i icon.

Heres how it worked for me.

upload_2021-9-1_13-19-20.png

Then I clicked the i icon in the upper right bar:

upload_2021-9-1_13-20-6.png

Hope this helps folks. I was looking all evening yesterday for this. I have a relative that lives in Japan who could maybe translate the japanese still shown in the display but I got the important parts anyway.

2. Kauai Kei

Kauai Kei Member

Useful! That finally got me a month of manufacture. Thanks!

3. t_g_farrell

4. t_g_farrell

Not sure what EPXF-P4 is either. The DC51T is the basic code for something related to being a Carry but not sure on that either.

5. t_g_farrell

DC51T is just a designation that its a 9th generation Carry, 1991-1999 manufacture based on some surfing..

6. t_g_farrell

7. Newlands

Newlands New Member

Doesn’t work for my VIN number in the U.K. (SED991800KV653448). And I don’t have the chassis code on the wheel arch under the drivers seat either. My registration document tells me that it’s a SK410 Supercarry TX, but I see a lot of you guys talk about codes like DD51T etc, and I’d like to know what the equivalent code for mine is.
    One thing I do know is that, unlike the US, kei trucks were officially imported and supported by a main dealer network, which included Honda Actys, Daihatsu Hijets and Suzuki Carrys. We even had rebadged Carrys sold as the Bedford Rascal - a bit like in Aus where they had the Holden Scurry I believe. I don’t know whether this means that they had completely different vehicle codes that don’t follow the same numbering convention or format as in Japan.

8. t_g_farrell

I suspect since your truck is officially imported to the UK, that the vin you have is UK specific. The chassis code may be other places, not sure. What year is your carry?

9. Dcwarpath

Dcwarpath New Member

10. Kauai Kei

Kauai Kei Member

You should check on the drivers side, near where the seat belt attaches. There might be an ID plate there with a Chassis No.

Newlands likes this.
  11. Newlands

Newlands New Member

43358679-3E4B-4314-8A9F-2A421249A1BE.jpeg Thanks, yes I’ve done that, though it doesn’t seem to make a lot of sense to me. I think 12U is the colour code, and KV653448 is the last 8 characters of my VIN code. The rest of it I don’t recognise from any of the research I’ve done.
    The Wikipedia article on the Carry suggests that I have a DA21T, but I have seen nothing to confirm this. Btw, it’s a Feb 1990 - that’s the date first registered in the U.K. according to the registration document.
    The partsouq and Japan-partner websites don’t do anything with any of the numbers I’ve tried.

The reason I’m keen to sort this out is that many U.K. parts suppliers (especially trade suppliers) seem to use the chassis code rather than the VIN number to select the correct parts. I’m just sorting out the front brakes and have been supplied with the correct discs, but incorrect pads. I really don’t want to build up a stock of parts that don’t fit!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  12. Dcwarpath

Dcwarpath New Member

13. Newlands

Newlands New Member

thanks, but already been there! I’ve just had another look, and rubbed the paint off where the chassis number should be but nothing at all. The seat belts give no clue either, just random numbers with nothing resembling a date although interestingly they do show “U.K.” I’m really surprised I haven’t found a number stamped into the metal, as I thought that was a mandatory thing at least for the U.K.
    So, it’s either in another location completely, or someone has gone to the trouble of removing it..
    Anyway, here’s the sticker from the B pillar. Incidentally, IBC stands for Isuzu Bedford Company Ltd, which was a subsidiary of GM, Vauxhall, Opel etc and the importers, and also marketed the rebadged Bedford Rascal variant of the Carry.
    2DDE971C-C67A-4D63-A6AC-191AEEF757F3.jpeg

14. Dcwarpath

Dcwarpath New Member

15. Kauai Kei

Kauai Kei Member

From the Wikipedia entry on the Suzuki Carry:

Post-1985 European market Carrys still used the 797 cc four-cylinderF8A familiar from the ST90 Carry, while Super Carrys were equipped with the F10A 970 cc four. Chassis codes are SK408 and SK410, while power outputs are 37 and 45 PS respectively (27.5 and 33 kW), top speeds 110 and 115 km/h. Heftier bumpers meant overall length was up 10 cm, for a total of 3295 mm.[46] Production of export models began in July 1985. The SK408 (sometimes called the DA11) was discontinued in October 1989. The SK410 Super Carrys (DA21) received the same F10a 970cc inline-four as fitted to the SJ410 Samurai. In much of Europe, this generation of the Carry was also sold as the Bedford, Vauxhall, or GME Rascal. These were built at the GM plant in Luton, to circumvent JAMA's voluntary export restrictions.[47]

Looks like SK410 is your chassis code, and the equivalent non-Bedford chassis code is DA21.

Newlands likes this.
  16. t_g_farrell

Also look up under one of the wheel wells, they may have put the frame no. on a tag there but since it was built in the UK, seems unlikely if what Kauai says is true.

Newlands likes this.
  17. Newlands

Newlands New Member

That’s the conclusion I reached from the Wikipedia article, but there is still a lingering uncertainty because of the lack of the stamped code on the wheel arch. Also I noticed yesterday that the plastic air cleaner enclosure has GM moulded into it, indicating it it from a Bedford rather than a Suzuki - maybe my pickup has been rebuilt at some stage using parts from both Bedford and Suzuki donors. Very strange.
    However, on the positive side, it is much easier searching for parts on the web using the DA21 code, as many of the trade suppliers seem to use that as the model identifier rather than the VIN number. I have as a result found that most of these suppliers are able to supply things like brakes discs, pads and shoes, wheel bearings, cam belts and tensioner, water pumps, and even starter motors and alternators (and I’ve already fitted new brake discs, and the correct pads arrived this morning so have now fitted them).
    I’ll certainly have a look in the wheel well, but it seems an unlikely spot to me!