1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A couple of questions... weight balance, 4wd

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Ohkei Dohkei, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Ohkei Dohkei

Ohkei Dohkei Active Member

My Sambar is bobbing across the Pacific, and in preparation I have a few questions..

1. What is the weight balance on a Sambar? Front axle/Rear axle.. I'm thinking I should back it on the trailer so I have some tongue weight, but not sure.

2. How does the 4wd actuate? When it is disengaged, does the front diff spin, or does it disconnect at the wheel as well as the t/c?

Thanks in advance.

2. matt167

matt167 Active Member

4x4 is a vac system. get your rear tires/ engine as close to the axle centerline as you can. If you drive it on, just fill up the gas tank before you hit the interstate.

3. Maximal

Maximal Active Member

yep 4WD is electronic switch vacuum, solenoid in the engine bay activates it. weight balance alone is rear heavy since the engine/trans are transverse at the very back, with a ~200lb driver in the front the weights a solid 60/40ish split if not closer to 50/50

4. Ohkei Dohkei

So do the cv's spin all the time even if the 4wd is not engaged? I am considering a front axle lsd similar to phantom grip if they don't. If they do, I don't think it will last very long.

5. Maximal

Maximal Active Member

As far as I would think, the driveshaft nor the front cv axles would be spinning in 2WD but wait until someone confirms

6. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

Yes, the CVs spin all of the time.

7. Ohkei Dohkei

Thanks. I was afraid of that.

8. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

Yea, this isnt like locking hubs or anything like that.. the 4WD vacuum solenoid is just engaging/disengaging the center diff.