1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

99 suzuki

Discussion in 'References' started by joeclarke, Sep 19, 2012.

1. joeclarke

joeclarke New Member

We have been trying to start this truck with no luck. Fuel is good, spark is good, compression good. Tried to start it with ether, no luck! The only way that we can get it started is to pull start it and pop the clutch. Takes about 10 feet and it starts... Any ideas???

2. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

No start with ether, but starts by pulling, fuel delivery problem my guess. When cranking does the oil light in dash go out. The computer(?) controls many things like if its not getting oil pressure it wont create fire.
    I recently had a guy call in with a 2000 Suz. His truck would stall out once every couple of weeks. He said it was like you turned off the ignition. wait 5 min. and it would crank back up for another week then the same thing, it would die. Everything was right, fuel, spark, air. This guy is a a&p, aircraft mech. So he's been around the block.
    We got it down to one thing, fuel delivery. Last thing he checked was pulling the tank. On the end of fuel pump is a fuel strainer / filter / shock. It was blanked off with red looking clay (rust I am guessing). The whole inside of tank had this crap in it. He cleaned the strainer / filter / shock and inside of tank and pump. Put everything back together and he's running strong. No more stalling.

3. joeclarke

joeclarke New Member

the fuel pump on this vehicle is cam run. mounted on engine. will check the oil light

the fuel pump is mounted on the engine. I will check the oil light. If you think of anything else, please let us know.

4. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

Is it a DD51 or DB52? A 51 would have electric fuel pump on the drivers side frame rail. I think the early 52's 99's would also have a fuel pump on the frame rail, later 52's 99's should be EFI and have fuel pump inside tank.
    Regardless find the fuel filter and check it out.

5. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Its a shot in the dark but it could be the ignition switch itself or a relay. Might be possible that something isn't working when switch is in start position vs run. Had a jeep that you could crank all day long and wouldn't start but as soon as the ignition switch went to the run position it would start given there was enough momentum left from the starter cranking the motor. Ended up being the starter solenoid.