1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

99 Honda ACTY Cold Starting Problems Fuel Injected HELP PLEASE

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by bilbo67, Dec 12, 2013.

1. bilbo67

bilbo67 New Member

Hi everyone im brand new to the forum and am hoping for some help. I bought a 99 ACTY that is fuel injected and its very hard on cold starting. It will require several turns of the key before it will start to idle. Once it starts you need to let it warm up until the light goes off before attempting to drive. It will just cut out if you try to soon. Once it is warmed up it truly runs very well. Can anyone help with what is going on at cold start up. plugs have been changed along with the norm, air filter (was really dirty), oil. thanks in advance for anyone's help

2. OldMachinist

OldMachinist Moderator Staff Member

Clogged fuel filter or weak fuel pump. Maybe dirty injectors.

3. bilbo67

bilbo67 New Member

I used some carb choke cleaner to clean injectors couldn't tell if they were dirty. They did not appear to be. Is the fuel filter external or in the tank? thanks for your reply

4. OldMachinist

I've never worked on a fuel injected ACTY so I don't know if it has a external fuel filter. Best way to tell is to trace the fuel lines back to the tank and see if there is one. On the carburetor models it's inside the frame rail right by the tank.

5. bilbo67

bilbo67 New Member

I will check it out but it seems if it was fuel pump, filter or injectors it would be a constant issue not just at start up right? Once it warms up it runs very well without issue. thanks again for your replies

6. OldMachinist

I've seen weak fuel pumps and clogged filters do things like this on other vehicles. The pump may be taking a while to come up to pressure but once it does its able to maintain it. If there's a test port on the fuel rail you can put a test gauge on it to see what the pressure is doing.

A leaking injector or two could also be dripping into the cylinders when it not running and flooding it out. Pull the spark plugs when it won't start and see if any are wet.

7. muddy moose

muddy moose Member

Maybe an air flow sender or idle air silinoid. Does it have an OBD port? If so.......that would tell you where to look

8. bilbo67

bilbo67 New Member

I dont know what a OBD is sorry?

9. OldMachinist

OBD = On Board Diagnostics
    The port is for plugging in code reader.

10. bilbo67

bilbo67 New Member

Ill check to see if it has one. there are no warning lights on the dash

11. shogun

shogun Active Member

I just found this: How To Pull Honda Codes Without a Scanner
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M5BaAa6tCM
    Not sure if that works on our trucks, probably depends on built year.
    More info I found:
    http://www.k-series.com/tech_document.php?id=37

http://www.ehow.com/how_2214653_read-obd2-codes.html

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2760775

Turn the engine OFF. Locate the 16P, OBDII Data Link Connector (DLC) under the driver's side dash. In the Civic it is in the vicinity of your right knee when you are driving. Use a jumper wire to connect terminals 4 and 9 of the DLC. IMPORTANT: Make sure you are connecting only the correct terminals as shown, otherwise you risk causing electrical damage to the ECU.

Turn the ignition key to the ON (II) position, but do not start the engine.

Carefully observe the CEL. It will flash in a distinct manner to display any DTCs that are store. If there are no codes stored, the CEL will not flash. The pattern of flashes indicates a one- or two-digit numeric code. The first digit of the code is represented by long flashes. The second digit of the code is represented by short flashes. A zero is represented by a brief pause. For example, four long flashes followed by five short flashes is code 45. One long flash followed by a pause is code 10.

If there is more than one DTC stored, the CEL will display them in sequence, then it will continue to repeat all the codes after they have been displayed one time. Record and double-check all codes displayed.

Look up the meaning of the codes retrieved on the DTC Index Page. Note that the one- or two-digit CEL codes correspond to more detailed four-digit OBDII codes.

Clearing the codes: If you wish to clear the stored DTCs and reset the ECU, remove the #6 fuse (15A) in the underhood fusebox for at least 10 seconds. However, if you are going to take your vehicle to a professional mechanic for repair, it is better to leave the DTCs in the ECU so that they can read and troubleshoot them with an OBDII scan tool or Honda PGM console.

Here is a code reader for OBDII http://www.obd2works.com/honda-creator-c330-system-scanner-p-1867.html
    Mentions Acty, but not from which built year?

Support HONDA and ACURA vehicles for OBDII sockets, include:ACCORD, ACTY, ACURA, AIRWAVE, ASCOT, AVANCIER, CAPA,CITY, CIVIC, CR-V,CR-X, CROSSROAD, DOMANI, EDIX, ELEMENT,ELYSION, FIT, FR-V, INSIGHT,INSPIRE INSPIRE, INTEGRA, JAZZ, LAGREAT, LEGEND, LIFE, LOGO, MOBILIO,MR-V, NSX, ODYSSEY, OETHIA,PARTNER, PILOT, PRELUDE, RAFAGA, RIGGELINE,S-MX, SPIKE etc.Supports systems include Engine, Auto Transmission, ABS, SRS(air bag),Body, EPS, BODY, IMMOBILIZER etc.

12. NathanH

NathanH New Member

Sorry for digging this up, but if you see this reply, did you ever solve this? I'm experiencing something very similar on my '99. No power until my engine warms up.

13. shogun

shogun Active Member

did you check air intake temperature sensor, coolant temperature sensor alredy? All these data are processed. I do not have the test data for this engine type, maybe someone with a repair manual can check and post the test data.

14. NathanH

NathanH New Member

I haven't checked much yet, but I did recently buy a bluetooth OBD reader, and I think the truck has a port, so I'll try it tomorrow and see if anything jumps out at me.

15. shogun

shogun Active Member