1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'99 Carry DB52T Smoking

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by rpm, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Ok I just got in from working on my truck, the plugs look flawless, nice brownish grey tips, very surprised, I thought they were gonna be fouled up. She's burning oil badly though! I just topped er up 3 days ago and burned maybe $10 fuel and she could use another small top up. I may try some oil additive that claim to stop oil burning. Are you familiar with such things and are they worth a try?

2. Limestone

Limestone Active Member

Troy'
    I like the idea of a compression test! It will tell you a lot! Yeah, I do agree, burning some oil, especially if you've got to add oil every so often.(naturally) Sounds like rings, (internal engine work). Then you have to decide once your in there, what else do you do. For me, once I'm in, I'll try to do as much as I can, to prevent from going back in, down the rd. I can't tell you much about the carry, but I'm hoping some others will add to this soon! A good group of people on the forum! From what I do see on all these mini's and the foreign vehicles is that the carb. and the vacuum has to be in tune with each other, vacuum switches included. It seems that most of the problems, are Carbs., Electrical, and Vacuum! In many cases, they all tie together. All makes and models. Sounds like your heading in the right direction. Keep us posted. Good Luck!
    Limestone

3. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Active Member

If you have a decent compressor, and don’t already own a compression tester, you might want to look into a bleed down tester. The compression tester tells you something is wrong, a bleed down tester lets you know what is wrong. 8MILELAKE Leakdown Leakage Cylinder Detector Tester Tool Kit Engine Compression Tester Double Gauges System Tu-21 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0819RDLYZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_nU7FEbY3FP7NV

Limestone likes this.
  4. Limestone

Limestone Active Member

I agree Jigs, we used that at the heavy equipment shop with great success!

5. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Active Member

Some thoughts on this subject. Mine is a 2002 with a K6A engine. It has 257,xxx Kms on it. Have been running 20-50 oil in it as I reasoned (my old school line of thinking) that would be reasonable with the constant hot temps here in the Philippines. Noticed I was getting a good bit of smoke at startup (oil smoke) so the last time I changed oil I installed 5-30 which is recommended in the service manual. My smokescreen has virtually disappeared. I was thinking that the valve seals were worn, but this seems to have proven the wisdom of going with factory recommendations.

Old Dogs can learn some new tricks.

Limestone likes this.
  6. Limestone

Limestone Active Member

Fred,
    I remember you mentioning that you thought you were going to need to do a ring job somewhere down the line, as you noticed your smoke screen. That's great info, you've educated us on, Thanks Again Friend! Stay healthy and safe!
    Limestone

7. You guys I truly do thank you for your wisdom and guidance, I've just done an oil change, I went with a good 10w-30, prior to the oil change I really didn't notice the smoke, although I didn't do much driving until the oil change( carry is new to me) the compression is exactly where it should be, I tried a bottle of valve sealer and now I'm James bonding it with every step of the peddle, more smoke than ever, wtf! I'm fairly decent with my wrenches, been a small engine repairmen for 20 years, is a valve seals replacement really doable without dropping the motor? Please help, any info is huge to me rite now. So frustrated, I paid $10,000 for this thing and all its its been is letdown after letdown

8. I need input please, I just went out and bought a new compression tester, not very expensive but I did buy the more expensive of the two options. I did a compression test on the three cylinders and cylinder closest to the front of the truck was 178, middle 176 and rear 179. I only did a dry test, I'm kinda limited on what I can do where I live. Live in an apartment and not allowed to work on your vehicle in parking lot:( but those numbers sound way to high, should I be worried? Thanks guys

9. installater

installater Member

Not high at all but good all in same range, 180's would be
    more better. No mechanic here just relaying what I've read
    no problem there
    Regards
    Brian

10. Oh thank God:) I got a lil worried when I seen such a high read, I read other threads that said theirs read 150's and 140's, 179 was higher than expected but thank you a lot! Stay safe pal

11. Limestone

Limestone Active Member

Those are good numbers for these little fella's! Mine are almost exactly the same, no kidding! Your good:), keep on trucking!!!

12. So here's one for you, with good compression like this would you lean more towards bad valve seals being the reason for the smoking or still a good chance it's the oil rings?

13. Limestone

Limestone Active Member

Go back to the beginning of your question, on page 1! I think Donald Andrews nailed it with his great info that he provided all of us with! Valve seals, look to be in your future, my guess! Without pulling the motor. Keep us posted!
    Limestone

14. Absolutely, I probably couldn't get her done without Yas you will be kept posted. Thanks and again, stay safe

15. Jigs-n-fixtures

Have somebody follow you, while you drive it. Run up the rpm in second or third gear, and then drop the throttle. If you are pulling oil through the guides, they will see a puff of smoke while the vacuum is high.

In reference to the compression test data of roughly 179-psi. That is actually pretty good. These engines have a theoretical compression ratio of about 10:1, and one atmosphere is roughly 14.7-psi at sea level. So if your engine was 100% volumetrically efficient, the 179-psi is a compression ratio of 12:1. Which is very good, and why I run high octane gas in mine.

Limestone likes this.
  16. Awesome, very informative and much appreciated. So high octane gas, is this something I should be doing also?

17. Jigs-n-fixtures

Back in my misspent youth I had to rebuild an engine that had been run on gas with too low of an octane rating. this resulted in pretty severe detonation, and the guy kept running it on the wrong octane, until he cooked the engine. All four piston, and the cylinder head looked liked someone had gone at them city a center punch and hammer, the faces were covered with a series of small pits. That was a minor effect of detonation. It can completely destroy the engine by blowing holes through pistons, bending rods, enlarging the position pin holes in teh pistons.

If you don’t run an engine hard you can get away with the wrong octane level. but if you pushing it hard it will detonate, and the results can be catastrophic.

18. Ok I'm very glad you informed me of this. I'm fairly new to working on vehicles but I've been working on ATV's my hole life and have seen some nasty Pistons. Some exactly how you've explained. Never put low octane gas as being the culvert! Always assumed that running em hard and bad air filters were the main reasons! Jigs-n-fixtures your knowledge is awesome. I love learning new stuff, especially when it involves new love(kei trucks) wow how great it would be to have you next to me, passing down your knowledge:) but this will work! Thank you

19. When you say you run high octane gas, is it still just higher octane gas at the pump or do you go beyond that and buy an even higher octane gas than 91 octane. I believe 91 is the highest we can get at the pump in Nova Scotia. It may even only be 90

20. Jigs-n-fixtures

I think what I’m running is 91-octane. I’m at 4000-ft altitude so the engine needs less octane, regular here is only 85-octane.