1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

97 not wanting to start

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by sandycreekboers, Dec 1, 2008.

1. sandycreekboers

sandycreekboers New Member

Once it starts it runs great. I have run the battery down trying to get it to start. It overheated pretty good about 2 months ago. replaced water pump and removed corroded thermostat. Possible fuel pump? any ideas? will immediately start after shutting down. once it cools down, better find a set of jumper cables.

2. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

i would check the engine ignition. if the ignition isn't firing hot enough it will be hard to start. but once the motor is warmed up it will run easily because the engine tends to "pre heat" the fuel and it will ignite with less spark.

this will include coil, points, condensor, cap, rotor & battery....

good luck :D

3. rayallen

rayallen Member

Check the compression. If it got hot the rings may be bad now.

4. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

good call ray, if the rings collapse you'll have low compression that will improve as the engine warms up and the tollerances tighten up.

is it smoking at all? if it's the rings you will end up with some oil burnt on the plugs and blue-ish smoke when it's running.

5. sandycreekboers

sandycreekboers New Member

Not a bit of smoke coming out. Thanks for the input.

6. rayallen

rayallen Member

does it have good compression?

7. rayallen

rayallen Member

When it won't start try a little, one squirt of starting fluid in the breather. If it starts then it may be the fuel not staying at the carb.

8. hturner

hturner New Member

wont start

Mine has refused to start on a few occasions, after removing the dist cap the first time i had no problems until four days ago. I then found the problem, it was the connection in the wiring right before the distributor. seems that dirt and water would get in and corrode it. this last time it was blood from a deer. after cleaning this connection and seeing that it was protected i have had no more problems. (so far)