1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'97 Carry lifted 2 1/4" now don't work so good

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by Half Life, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Half Life

Half Life Member

'97 Carry lifted 2 1/4" now don't work so good

I just installed a 2 1/4" lift kit and am having the very issue described on many threads with the CV joints binding (unloaded). I stil have a toe-in issue to deal with but that is not my concern right now. When I back the vehicle up, the nose will slowly raise until I can hear the CV joints knocking. Rolling forward, the nose dips back down to where it should be and I do not hear any noises from the CV joints. When I crawl under the truck (all weight on suspension) I don't notice any severe angle of the CV joints. The truck drives normally as before I installed the lift kit. I understood that a 2 1/4" lift kit would not cause this to happen on these trucks.

Have I installed them wrong somehow? Any other suggestions at this point? I know I can lower the differential and other pieces and I also know I can simply remove them. My goal is to use larger tires (as in wider) so I would prefer not to spend a bunch of money just to get wider tires. :confused:

Thanks.
    ________
    Harley-Davidson VRSCR

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  2. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Hey Phil,

Thats weird? Let me make sure I am understanding this correctly.
    • The joints bind with the truck jacked up (Unloaded).
    • When you drive the truck forward and backward the entire front of the truck raises and lowers (Loaded).
    -Greg

3. racker

racker New Member

Phil,

I also have a 97 Carry and had the same problem with the CV joints binding with a 2" lift kit. When I jacked up the front end the left wheel would bind. I removed the lift kit and measured the max distance that I could low the wheel before binding and made new lift kit. This stop the binding on my truck. The distance that worked for my truck was 1.75" in towards the center of the truck and 1.5" outside. Not saying that these dimensions will work for you, but hope this helps you.

4. slimbad

slimbad Member

Suzuki lift kit problem

Phil,

Is this one of the earlier style lift kits (off e-bay)? The reason I ask is this was a problem in the early days (2 yrs ago) when members on this forum begin experimenting with lift kits. It seems the earlier prototypes had no adjustment at the top of the struts and there were problems with backing up/raising and binding.

http://www.minitrucktalk.com/showthread.php?t=5

I think it was Cory and his gang that got on track first? and came up with adjustable/slotted kits that eliminated/lessened this effect.

Greg, I had to reach way back to find this one (post 5 - Jun 07).....actually once I found it - it appears to be the first sticky in Suzuki Carry section.......maybe this helps......later, slim

5. greg0187

Phil. You probably should call Cory at xroads and ask him what the problem is and post the results back here.

-Greg

6. MichTrucks

MichTrucks Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Phil,

2' lift kits I put on my trucks have never had any binding I am aware of. I assume the only side that is binding is the passenger side and only when the wheel is fully extended?

7. racker

racker New Member

The one I had problem with was a new one with the adjustment and it would not work with my '97 either. The answer I got from someone was that my CV joint was wear out already. One year later and mine miles on my lowed lift kit and still no problems with either CV joint (never replaced), knock on wood.

8. Half Life

Half Life Member

Nope, recently purchased from a Cory at XRoads. When I asked him about it he is puzzled as well. He thinks I may have pulled the CV axles out too far but I would think that if that is the case the truck wouldn't drive normally. I could be wrong on that one though.
    ________
    vaporizer review

9. Half Life

Half Life Member

Steven,

Actually both sides bind with wheels fully extended. Passenger side will not move at all. Driver side moves but takes some effort. With the truck resting on its suspension (normal condition) all is well driving forward. No noises and rolls as free as before the lift kits installed. But when backing up, the nose raises up and I start to hear knocking from the CV joints.
    ________
    Kawasaki BN125

10. Half Life

Half Life Member

Problem solved - sort of

My dad always said, "You have to be smarter than the machine you're working on". He was right, as most dads are.

I ended up taking the front lifts off and disassembled them. Got the direction back out, re-read them and started over. Put them back together (same way as before) and installed them.

With the wheels unloaded they still bind. However when loaded normally everything is now fine. The truck backs up with no problems and moves forward with no problems. For the life of me I cannot figure out what I did differently. Since my goal was to be able to add wider tires I think I'll be fine. I do not plan on doing any extreme off-roading as this is mainly a farm truck so I do not forsee the unloaded binding to be an issue.

I have adjusted the camber as far as I can and will need to address the toe-in adjustment. All in all I think this will work just fine. Good thing I don't work on vehicles for a living; I'd starve.
    ________
    Yamaha Virago

11. greg0187

Well... Glad to hear you got it worked out, one way or another. Sometimes it can be a mystery. Good job!

-Greg