1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'96 Suzuki 4x4 Carry Steering

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by James.Morgan, Aug 12, 2010.

1. James.Morgan

James.Morgan New Member

I'm new to mini trucks and recently bought a 1996 Suzuki 4x4 Carry. It has a "popping" sound in the steering; it seems to be coming from the rack and pinion. Is there a way to adjust the slack out these or where is the best place to buy a replacement?
    Thanks, James

2. Little Foot

Little Foot Member

That popping sound is probably coming from the spring recoil under upper strut bushing. The bushing probably needs grease. Use a synthetic with lithium they perform better in winter.

3. James.Morgan

James.Morgan New Member

Thanks, I'll check that. I can shake the shaft coming out of the rack/pinion and it has slack in it; I may need to replace or repair it also.
    Thanks, James

4. James.Morgan

James.Morgan New Member

Is there a way to tighten or adjust the rack and pinoin for the steering on the 96 suzuki Carry?

5. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

james , check out the main bushing on the lower steering shaft. i have one right now that the bushing is completely gone. truck shows 53000kms, my guess is it has 1530000kms.

6. binder66

binder66 Member

steering pop

I had a pop in my steering that I discovered by turning the wheel compleatly to the right.

Was trying to work on left side and needed clearance. In the drive way when I hit the limit my steering wheel jumped and I thought I had broken something.

Took the steering off of my wrecked 94 then off the 96. I wanted to find out what had gone wrone with it, so clamped it in a vice and started to turn the square nut that looks like a pipe plug.

Well, well, well, lo and behold I have just spent my morning on a project that did not need done.

The square nut is plastic and it pushes a spring into a cup that adjusts the pressure on the steering rod in the steering sector.

So now must put the steering back in. At least I learned something.

Hope this helps someone else.

Jeff:frustration: