1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

93 Sambar fuel pump converstion.

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Forx, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Forx

Forx New Member

Hey all I'm trying to find a fuel filter for my 93 Sambar (carb) and I'm having a little trouble with the conversion of the table in the manual.
    upload_2019-4-16_11-11-51.png
    Seems like I can't find anything that's matching up in Gallon's per Hour or PSI. Seems like everything I'm finding is way higher in psi and gph. Anybody find an alternative pump that they are willing to post the partnumber on?

Edit. Looks like the manual list kg/m2 but maybe should list kg/cm2 which is more like 43PSI which makes WAY more sense than .oo43 psi... lol I'm thinking it's a typo. Let me know if any of you agree.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  2. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

A kg/m^2 is the definition of one bar of pressure.

Converting .15-bar to psi, I get 2.175-psi, which isn’t too out of line for a carbureted engine.
    The 15l/hr, is about 4-gal/hour, which is 0.06-gpm.

So what you need is a small electric fuel pump, which can be regulated down to 2-psi, most of the electric pumps have built in return flow valves so if they are over pressure it just bleeds back to the inlet side.

IIRC the Holley carbs wanted 2.5-psi at the inlet, and if you look on eBay or Amazon you will find an electric fuel pump with about a 2.5 to 5-psi outlet pressure for around twenty dollars, and you can get a Mr. Gasket, Empi, or similar regulator for use with carburetors which is adjustable from 0 to 5-psi, for around $30. Put the pump back by the tank, and the regulator as close to the carb inlet as you can.

Toyota pickups and Celicas of the mid seventies, had small in tank electric pumps, and an inline blow off valve in the tank, which dumped excess fuel back into the tank at 2.5-psi, you might be able to find a similar pump and valve assembly and install it in the tank.

Forx likes this.
  3. Forx

Forx New Member

Is the l/h a rating rather than a required spec? So I can get a 2 psi pump that can do 40gph as an example? I guess I am struggling to understand why the OEM part is $300 with shipping and I can find a universal one for $20 on Amazon.

4. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

The spec is the minimum volume the factory pump should put out.

The stock parts are expensive due to the shipping costs. And, the fact that they custom fit your vehicle as a remove and replace operation. Some states/areas with emissions requirements require everything to be original, so you are forced into buying the parts which are original or have been certified. those parts also tend to be expensive.

The carb doesn’t care, you give it fuel at the right pressure, (to low it gets starved, too high and it forces it’s way past the needle valve and floods the engine), and in a high enough volume that it doesn’t get starved at wide open throttle, and it is happy.

Forx likes this.
  5. Maximal

Maximal Active Member

i found a OEM one for $180 i think on SuperMiniTrucks, they just drive up the price on parts because people that dont know much on repairs will pay $300 because they dont want to search overseas for them, its embarassing most sites have them listed at $300, carbureted EN07 fuel pumps are as small and basic as they come

i cant see why you shouldnt be able to wire in a generic $30 Amazon pump, my 1979 Toyota Supra has a external fuel pump by the tank and i put a $30 Ebay pump on it without issues

Forx likes this.