1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

93' Carry making a grinding noise when not under power on highway

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by JonP, Apr 23, 2020.

1. JonP

JonP Member

Hey everyone,

Just installed a 2" lift kit on my Carry (5 speed). I got it professionally aligned afterwards, and it tracks straight on the highway. I've noticed though, going 90 km/h and letting off the gas, that something is making a "grinding" noise. It sounds more like if you were going over very small rumble strips, though. It gets way worse if I put it into neutral, and becomes not noticeable around 60 km'h.

I've also noticed a similar sound if I am making a high speed turn (like 60-80 km/h), but it's not constant like if I am coasting after letting off the gas.

Any ideas what it could be?

Thanks for your time!

2. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

What kind of fluid are you using?

3. JonP

JonP Member

I just got it, so haven't changed any fluids yet.

4. Limestone

When you change the fluid, inspect for particles and Minuscia! Very important this Minuscia! Don't under estimate this Minuscia! Replace with the proper Synthetic fluids, and send every one on the forum a cold beer! lol!!!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  5. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Check your CV joints for binding.

Bigmac and Limestone like this.
  6. Bigmac

Bigmac New Member

As Jigs said, lift kit puts excessive angles on the cv joints, if the joints are worn at all you will get noise, vibration etc. Exactly why I never put a lift on mine... you will be putting new joints or axles in it regularly. Lift kits are ok for offroad slow driving but at road speed, these issues will show up

Limestone likes this.
  7. Limestone

That's a great point Mac. I read many of the previous post's on this forum, and any where else that I could gather info on these mini trucks, and lifting it! As you could guess that's why I joined and settled here! Not a lot out there that, I BELIEVE AND TRUST! All of the post's suggested to stay under the so called 2" max. limit! I also understand, that if your gonna road it a lot, pretty much no need to do a lift, unless you need to think your cool doing it!LOL:rolleyes: If needed, then do a complete lift, like some of the guy's have, lifting everything in conjunction, so as not to stress out the cv's and drive line, system, so to speak! I do have to admit, some of the guy's have done a really great job, and they do look cool!!!
    Limestone

8. Bigmac

Bigmac New Member

The only kits I am aware of that keep the driveline angles correct are about a 4" lift... they use spacer blocks to lower the front diff down. No one seems to make a 2" lift that drops the diff

9. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

In theory, the two inch lift should still be within the design angles for the CV joints. But, if you add stiffer springs, or you CV joints are already worn, even a two-inch lift can muck things up.

And if you space down the axles you start approaching the critical angles for the universal joints in the drive lines.

If you have a newer truck, that isn’t unibody, body lift is probably the way to go. But even then you have to figure out what to do with the steering shaft.