1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

93 Carry DD51T Carb Tuning

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by Cole, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Puro

Puro Member

I'm currently rebuilding my carburetor and I would need some information on floatbowl adjustment. (angle and everything)

Anyone got anything on that?

Thanks!

2. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

The float should be level when the carb is upside down and the float is resting on the needle.

Limestone likes this.
  3. DirtyGSer

DirtyGSer New Member

Hi,

I am trying to understand how the choke actuator arm works on a '93 DD52T.

Mine is a bear to start so there must be somethin going on with the choke and I figure if I can understand how it works I can troubleshoot why it's not.

when its cold out I need to pump the pedal a few times, try to get it to catch, pump a few more try to get it and it does then dies, pump it a couple times and it will catch because it has a little heat in it.

On my carb the choke actuator fork doesn't seem to be attached to anything? is it supposed to push against something or pull something? how do you know/see if the choke flap is moving?

Thanks,

J

Attached Files:

4. Jigs-n-fixtures

You probably need to set the high idle speed up. That fixed my Hijet.

Sorry, I don’t know where the adjustment is on your carb.

5. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

Do a search for Choke-idle is too high you will find a thread by Spaner from a few years ago that has a lot of info and pics. Should help you out.

Limestone likes this.
  6. DirtyGSer

DirtyGSer New Member

Well, first and foremost, it's been way too long since I asked the question and got nearly immediate response, without my thanking both Jigs and Fixtures and Jim Nelson for chiming in with suggestions. It is MUCH appreciated! I wanted to wait until I had spent some serious time playing with mini and wanted to be able to report back success.

Well the serious time has passed but I have not been trouble shooting too much. I did spend some quality time looking to see where the cold choke bump up screw might be and found it....only to realize that I have no idea how to get back into it with the carb installed

The screw I am trying to focus on is the choke idle #5 in the attached stolen/borrowed photo.

Well try as I might I couldn't figure a way to get at the screw until I stumbled across (ok I searched for a long time) a video from southeast Asia where a guy is fixing the idle on a suzuki...in the video he just grabs the throttle cable where it curves around the pivot pulls and brings the screw up into reach.......Brilliant, so simple I never thought of trying anything other than reaching the screw when it was at rest. Duh!!

at 45 - 52 seconds in this video (I don't have the clearance he has around the area but I can still use the same approach to get better access to the screw

ok, so now I can mostly kinda sorta get at the screw and I figure turning it clockwise must push the lever up off its perch and provide more idle up. Turning the screw I only got at most a 1/2 turn before it was bottomed out. Haven't gone any further but will mess around more with it tomorrow night and hopefully have a success story to relate.

Thanks!

J

Attached Files:

7. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

Looks like you're on the right track. Keep us posted.

8. Jigs-n-fixtures

Sometimes, I forget how much easier my dump truck is to work on than the standard bed. The ability to just put the bed in the dump mode, take off the engine protection plate, and there everything is. I can’t imagine trying to figure out how to get at things through the normal access hatch.

Limestone likes this.
  9. N. Idaho Mini

N. Idaho Mini New Member

Needing some help identifying some of the valves in the vacuum line circuits:

1. With reference to the "vacuum line pics.jpg" file that milmor88 posted (on page 3), what is the white, plastic looking valve on the idle up control circuit (white vac tubing)? Check valve, delay valve, or something else?

2. It sounds like the valve on the choke circuit (yellow vac tube) is a delay valve, is that correct? will any delay valve work there?

If anyone can offer some advice identifying these I would really appreciate it! Also, a place to purchase these parts would be helpful too...

Thanks,
    -tanner

Nick price likes this.
  10. 2knives

2knives New Member Supporting Member

Tanner,

1. I think that’s a check/delay valve, suck on one side, and then the other to see.

2. I believe that’s the “idle up assembly” a diaphragm type actuating assembly.

They’re probably still available from OEM. Have you already tried taking it to NAPA to see if they have anything?

11. N. Idaho Mini

N. Idaho Mini New Member

I was able to get these parts from JPN Auto Import at a pretty reasonable price. They are vacuum delay valves (called jets by Suzuki OEM). I tried running my carry without the valves in place, with other valves in place, and with the correct oem parts, and I can confidently say that the vacuum delay valve on the choke circuit is much nicer, starts right up the second I turn over the key and does not die. Without the delay valve i usually had to turn it over a couple of times and add throttle to get it to stay started

installater and 2knives like this.
  12. Jigs-n-fixtures

I think: A delay is all white with color. A check is black on one end, color on the other. The color indicates the orifice size.

40-years ago, I had a manual for my Toyota Hilux, with a chart in it. Passed it on to my brother when I gave him the truck. Wish I still had both of them.

2knives likes this.
  13. Jesus Diaz

Jesus Diaz New Member

I have a problem I be having after run the soon I cut the car off

14. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

Check your float
    Kill it with it in gear

15. Jesus Diaz

Jesus Diaz New Member

But is brand new carburetor u think that will be the problem bad set up

16. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

LOL
    YES!

Jesus Diaz likes this.
  17. Jesus Diaz

Jesus Diaz New Member

do u have a diagram of the carburetor I'm looking for the cold start sensor solenoid

18. t_g_farrell

t_g_farrell Active Member

There is no cold start sensor. The choke operates by using a wax pellet that controls the choke based on the temperature of the coolant running through it. Its basically built into the side of the carburetor.