1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

92 Sambar shocks for a two inch lift

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Georgia mountain man, Apr 13, 2019.

1. I just finished lifting my 92 Sambar two inches. The stock shocks are now fully extended with the truck at rest. I know this can't be good for them. So far I have been unable to source a bolt on shock that is two inches longer than stock. That being said, I'm going out to try to make a pair of Jeep Wrangler steering stabilizers work. The stabilizers are the same diameter as the stock units but extension 2.5 inches more than stock. I plan on cutting the mount off of the rod side of the shock and weld on the U mount from the stock shocks. Other than the obvious lack of protection for the rod does anyone foresee any problems?

2. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

FYI A steering stabilizer should have the same amount of dampening while operating either in or out while a suspension shock absorber will have much more dampening in one direction than the other. Do some research of the function of suspension parts. Just food for thought.

Fred

3. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Look at the shock manufacturers online catalogs. You need to know the compressed and uncompressed lengths, and the travel distance of the shock, as well as the end types. For on road you want a 60/40 dampening split, and for off-road an 80/20. Most of the manufacturers have tech support, who can walk you through the selection, if you know the above information.

4. Ohkei Dohkei

Ohkei Dohkei Active Member

What did you use to lift it? Did you buy a kit, or make it yourself?

5. I bought a kit from michminitrucks.com.

6. Heiny

Heiny Member

I ordered shocks from Pro Comp years ago by length and bolt size, IIRC their website had a chart to match part numbers with length and such.

7. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

I forgot to mention that steering dampers are a bad idea, because they have a 50/50 dampening ratio.

8. Thanks for the replies. scratch plan A

9. Heiny

Heiny Member

I didn’t see any chart on Pro Comps site, I may have called them to order. You might try calling them.