1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

92 Honda - Tire Size Question

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by snoodslapper, Sep 14, 2011.

1. snoodslapper

snoodslapper New Member

Looking to put some 25x10x12 tires on my mini. I'm order a 2" lift as well. Anyone had any problems with this size tire on this truck?

2. OldMachinist

OldMachinist Moderator Staff Member

I have 23 x 10.5 -12 on the rear and 23 x 8 -12 on the front. 2" lift in the rear and about 1 3/8" on the front. I have a very slight rub on the fronts at the travel limits. I don't think you'll get the 25's to work without sheet metal modifications. Mine had 3" lift in the front but the tire camber was too much so I reduced it.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  3. unclejemima

unclejemima Member

Funny, I thought 23" tires would fit no prob.

The stock tires are 145/80R12, what works out to about 21.13" tall. I measured mine and it looks as if 24" tires would fit, but I guess not.

I think a 155/80R13 would be the max you could run at 22.75" tall...sounds like that might not fit either???

Perhaps a 22" tire would be the best choice for those without a lift

4. OldMachinist

When I was working on mine to lower the lift to fix the camber being out so far I put the 23 x 8 -12's on without any lift and they rubbed in many places. Now with small lift they only rub a little on the mud flap and right at the front of the wheel well. I pounded the sheet metal up front a little and since the tires have a some wear on them now they barely rub at all.

5. unclejemima

unclejemima Member

Thanks OldMachinist.

So, do you think I would probably be pushing my luck running the 22.75" tall tires with no lift?

A 23" atv tire is usually taller than 23" if measured at the lugs...? Is this the case with yours as well, or are they actually 23" tall?

6. OldMachinist

I just got in from a 550 mile road trip picking up a v snow plow that I'm going to adapt to my truck so I'll measure them tomorrow.

7. unclejemima

unclejemima Member

Thanks.

I have my eye on the 155/80r13's that will be 22.75" tall actual height. I put a tape measure on the truck, and it appears they should fit perfect without rubbing...but I'd really like to know what your size is before I go ahead with my purchase. If yours are 23" actual, there is no way my 22.75" tires will work without lift.
    Thanks
    -mark

8. OldMachinist

The tires are right at 23".
    Here are some pictures. My 200 plus pounds are not in the truck during the pictures.

Wheels straight ahead.
    [​IMG]

Turned right. You can see the rub marks on the mud flap.
    [​IMG]

Turned left. You can see where I massaged the sheet metal with a hammer.
    [​IMG]

I don't know if the little clean area on the spring is from tire rub or not.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  9. unclejemima

unclejemima Member

Thanks for the photos OldMachinist. So its 23" to end of the lugs...and you have a little bit of lift, or it would not clear, right?

I imagine with passengers it would rub even more (more weight in the cab)

I think the acty's are the worst for this because they have the odd shaped rear portion of the wheel well. Looks cool, but makes tire clearance and issue.

I'm thinking then that the 22.75 tires won't work for me...to bad. They are only 6.6% taller than stock...they really did not allow for any bigger tires from the factory as stock is 21.5" tall.

10. OldMachinist

You may be alright with normal width street tires that are 22.75" because as the pictures show its the extra width of the off road tires that's rubbing.

11. unclejemima

unclejemima Member

Ok. The 155 tires are very narrow, but I was more concerned about rubbing on the mud flap and such.

Do you think without a lift, the 22.75" tires will make contact with the mudflaps?

12. OldMachinist

13. Kei King

Kei King Member

175/70/13 should work and depending on the offset of the rims, 185/70/13 shouldnt rub on the front strut.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  14. unclejemima

unclejemima Member

Thanks! I was looking for a thread about this exact thing! I'm ordering my 155/80r13's as we speak! :)

I had to much time on my hands last night, so I cut a 22-3/4" round circle out of cardboard. I wish I had seen this thread before ;)

Anyway, looks as it will fit fine. I just wanted to be double sure.

White line is the OEM tire size just for comparison.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  15. unclejemima

unclejemima Member

Thanks Kei King,

I was hoping to keep my tires skinnier as to reduce rolling resistance...I'm going to need 6 of these remember ;)

I'll post photos of my setup when its done.

16. I am debating myself on my front tires too. I bought this '92 ACTY at a farm auction a couple months ago. It had 4 - 25-8-12 tires on it, but the front tires were worn pretty bad. I had 2 of the same size I had taken off a Yamaha Kodiak a few years ago, so I put them on the ACTY.

Today, I took one off to get some measurements. I have about 3/4" clearance between the tire and the spring.

The rim (wheel) is about 5" wide.

And the offset is about 3 5/8" to the inside, and very little to the outside.

The front tires do rub the top of the wheel well when I have 2 people in the cab, or hit big bumps.

The overall height of the tires (including the lug/grips) is about 24 3/4"

I'm not sure what, if any, changes I should make to my set up. I'm not ready to spend $500 on new tires and rims, but if I could find a good set of 'take offs' I might consider a shorter tire.

Some of my questions would be;
    1. How wide of a tire can I get on these rims?

2. Would a 23" tire (shorter than the 25's) solve some of my rubbing problems?

3. Would a wider tire rub on my springs with these rims?

Attached Files: