1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

92 carry

Discussion in 'Performance' started by okie, Mar 13, 2009.

1. okie

okie New Member

I'm new to this, so bear with me. I have a 92 suzuki carry. When coasting down hill it slows down. Jacked up front end. The front have a lot of resistance when trying to spin them. Does not seem to be the brakes. Any ideas? Also, there's a red light on the dash that is always on. It looks like a picture of a muffler with heat waves (wavy lines) above it. I have no idea what it means. Would appreciate any help. thanks

2. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

that's the catalytic converter overheat light... check and make sure your cat isn't plugged up.

when you say coasting do you mean with it out of gear or in gear and just letting off the gas? is it a dirt hill that would cause more resitance than a paved hill that will allow you to coast farther? as for it feeling "tight" it could be several different things... brakes dragging, degraded or over tightened wheel bearings. if the truck has a lift kit it could be binding the front CV joints and causing the drag.. that would be most noticeable when jacked up if you feel a clicking as your spin the tires.

3. cabinmini

cabinmini Member

Welcome okie

Welcome to our little part of the world.
    Have a look at this thread.
    http://www.minitrucktalk.com/showthread.php?t=4137
    I had a similar concern with mine but I think it is just the nature of the beast. Unless of course this is something new and there really is something extra wrong with yours. Mine continues to run along just great but I imagine this is part of the reason why we only get 30mpg instead of 50.
    Jim

4. WELDER

WELDER Member

Have you solved the problem yet? My cat error light is also on.

5. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

When the cat light comes on two things are going on most likely. 1) the sensor thats tied into exhaust system next to cat is bad, or 2) the cat. conv. is getting to hot (clogging up). 9 out of ten times its the sensor. Keep a eye on engine temp. if its ok and truck seems to have the right power the sensor is most likely bad. If you want to get rid of the light order a new sensor from one of the site sponsors or cut the wire at sensor and ground it out to frame(light should go out). With doing this you have just killed the way to see if cat. is failing. Your choice. Note again, if light is on, temp. running high, loss of power check out the cat. Some trucks have two sensors one before the cat. and one after.

6. WELDER

WELDER Member

Thanks trax. I've been keeping a close eye on the temp. I just pulled 70km/h up a steep hwy for about 10 minutes, no sign of overheating or powerloss throughout the rpm range. Any clue how much the sensor is, and which of this site's sponsors will have it at the best price?

Thanks again.

7. starpuss

starpuss Member

take the sensor out and clean it. you can buy sensor safe brake clean. try that first before you buy a new one.

8. WELDER

WELDER Member

Sinpmle enough. I haven't torn into the engine (engine-bay in this case) far enough to find the sensor. Am I to assume that there will only be one sensor on the cat, easy to remove?

9. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

On the older model trucks there will be one sensor. You could have a cat. that is built into the exhaust manifold or it will be behind the battery area. If you have one sensor it will be about where the cab ends on older models. If its a newer truck you will have two sensors one before the cat. and one after. If i remember right. Just follow the exhaust pipe it will be the thing thats screwed into exhaust pipe with one wire hooked to it.

10. WELDER

WELDER Member

Simple enough, thanks.

11. bigtex

bigtex New Member

Just wondering I have the same light on on the dash but I don't have a spot to put the 02 sensor on my 1992 carry

12. mcsmarts

mcsmarts New Member

thank you everyone, i had an acceleration issues when warm that this seemed to cure, now to get onto the eng management light :)

HELLO FROM SCOTLAND !!