1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

92 Carry Stalling Problem

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by rshier, Mar 21, 2008.

1. rshier

rshier New Member

I have the mini 4x4 Carry truck.

Hi,
    I am new to the forum and am looking for ideas as to why my Carry is stalling for no apparent reason. I have had all the usual things checked or replaced.
    I think it must be something that a mechanic is missing because none of the usual things have made a difference.
    I have had the fuel pump replaced..the filters, drained and rinsed out the gas tank to be sure there wasnt a blockage.
    I also had the distributor cap replaced.
    It has new spark plugs as well.
    I have added fuel treatment, (thinking it might be water in the tank), but again it still stalls.

It has no trouble starting in the am. Rather,
    I have to be driving it for it to happen.
    It can happen within 15 minutes of driving. (Though I have gone longer).

There is no pattern to it other than it just happens.
    It will go again once I start it, but thats not the issue
    I am going to cause an accident one of these times.

Has anyone else had any experience with this and what did u do?
    thanks very much,
    renee

btw if you click on the thumbnails you wll see my Carry.
    I use it for Gardening.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2008
  2. Hi Renee,
    We had a similar issue once with a mitsu, I know you said you did the standard work but be sure the plugs are OK. When we had this problem everything looked ok but there was a tiny, hairline fracture in the insulator in one of the plugs that would either cause the truck to not start or it would run rough and then just quit for no reason. It sounds like you've checked everything else so maybe you can get lucky and it's just something simple like that?;)

3. rshier

rshier New Member

thank you very much.
    I am looking for ideas to bring to my mechanic on tuesday..I am tired of thinking its fixed and then it happens again. I have just been lucky not to cause a crash when this happens.

I will definitley ask about plugs, and to have them really check carefully for a hairline fracture, etc.

I know we changed the distributor cap last time as well.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2008
  4. DarinRay

DarinRay Member

Don't leave out the coil. Does it start after it stalls or do you have to wait? Darin

5. rshier

rshier New Member

darinray.

i do have to wait a few seconds vs it starting the moment it stops.
    I also pump the gas pedal, (though I havent tried starting it without doing so)

thanku very much.

ps. I appreciate everyone's input.

6. 3000gt

3000gt New Member

i would investigate your carb.... my friends truck had similiar issues. His did what you are describing when it was cold, however on warm days it ran great.. we took the carb apart and there was junk everywhere. worked for him, just my 2 cents

7. rshier

rshier New Member

thanks 3000gt:
    I really appreciate you taking the time to write..all info adds to the puzzle.
    In my case it doesnt happen cold - it happens once I am driving.
    I apologise if i have something written in my note to suggest it happens cold..I will check.

i am definitley going to check into the carb because it comes up a lot and i am going to look on the net to get an idea of what a new one costs.

8. rshier

rshier New Member

Does anyone know what a new carberator might run?
    Just curious and cant seem to find a price on the net.

9. pepci

pepci Member

Check with G&R imports they are great for any parts. They are also a sponsor on here.

10. rshier

rshier New Member

thanks i will give them a look:))

11. Heiny57

Heiny57 New Member

Maybe coil or plug wires. Does it run smooth until it stalls? When it is stalling do you pump gas and if so does it do anything or does it just slow down to a stop.

12. rshier

rshier New Member

Thank you for the suggestion about the coil and plug wires. That is something I am checking into.:)

But, I am interested in your questions and what you had in mind once I answer because, Yes, it does run smooth until it stalls. And even if I pump the gas it stalls and it's as if no gas is getting to it. It simply dies.

I look forward to your thots on this.

I was also wondering if it could be flooding itself out somehow even when the engine is warm. I am wondering if the automatic choke may have something to do with it? Again, I am just throwing out ideas to be considered.

Thank u again.
    Renee

13. DRW

DRW Member

Renee, you say it runs fine until it stalls and you have to be driving it for this to occur, correct? It sounds like a loose wiring connection somewhere, or maybe a poor wiring repair.If you are running out of fuel for whatever reason you typicallly would feel it starting to happen before stalling,if your stall is more like turning the key off,I would focus on the electrical system.These are just some more ideas,good luck.

14. Heiny57

Heiny57 New Member

I would think if it is flooding it would take quite awile for it to restart. How hard is it to start after a stall?
    I have never worked on one of these yet. But a few thoughts of problems I have seen on other stuff.

Dirty or worn carb usually runs rough all the time and is hard to start cold and blows black smoke.

Plugged fuel source runs great then stalls. Hard to restart, then stalls again

Electrical problem, stalls at random times and is hard to figure out.
    Every thing these days is controlled by a censor, it can be difficult.
    The coil could be weak and they act up when warm. Bad ground at the fuel pump, could have electrical fuel shut off engaging,as mentioned above cracked spark plugs.

Info needed.

When it stalls are you at operating temp. how fast are you going? What gear? is there a pattern to that? what happens when you try to start right away? how long does it have to sit? do you have electrical devices operating?
    Next time it happens quickly get out and remove gas cap and observe how much suction their is, (could be plugged and restricting air)

All else fails kick dent in side and cuss the Japs

Just kidding

Bob

15. rshier

rshier New Member

Thanks so much for this...I think more than anything it sounds like a electrical problem,
    it stalls at random, I can be at a stop lite or driving down the highway at high speeds.
    (scarry) and it doesn't idile or run rough, when it stalls the engine is never cold...

Renee

16. Heiny57

Heiny57 New Member

I read somewhere in here of a parts distributer that had a tech help line for support that might help,,,,,,,,,,,,,I can't remember who

17. Heiny57

Heiny57 New Member

http://www.grimports.com/

Try these guys.

Electrical can be a real pain, I have a Suzuki Samurai and they are known for bad ground connections ( lots of rust)

Can you hear the fuel pump start when you turn key before starting?

If so can you hear it when it stalls.

Like I said I don't have one of these yet.
    I like to learn about things before I buy. This sort of thing helps me.

18. DRW

DRW Member

Renee,try supplying the ignition system with 12v straight from the battery and see if your stall still occurs,if it does at least you know it is not a power supply issue.I will look at my 91 and see if I can determine exactly where to apply the aux power wire,fortunately I have not had the need to fool with my ignition system.

19. Heiny57

Heiny57 New Member

Anything new, have you had a chance for your guy to look this thing over,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,just curios. Good luck and keep us informed. The more I think about this you might have him look at the ECM if it has one. they usually just quit but I guess they could act up first. :frustration:

20. rshier

rshier New Member

hey thanks for asking.
    Lately I have been busy selling my eurovan so havent been in town to take it to them. Of course it hasnt stalled since the last time, :frustration:
    I printed off all the suggestions/ideas from here to take with me when I do go.
    I cannot wait to report back:)
    renee

21. Heiny57

Heiny57 New Member

Maybe it fixed itself,,,,,,haha knock on wood maybe it will be good from now on good luck

22. rshier

rshier New Member

no kidding..lol
    :p:D