1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

91 Sambar Transmission Issues

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by GW2, Jan 11, 2022.

1. GW2

GW2 New Member

Hey guys-

I have a 91 supercharged Sambar that's having some issues.

The right rear wheel had locked up, so I replaced the brake shoes and wheel cylinders and it seems to have solved that problem--the pad material was actually separated and was floating around loose--I'm not sure if that was the problem, or simply a result of having to pull the brake drum off with a puller. Now, when I went to drive it today for the first time since that repair, it wouldn't really shift into second gear.

Also, when I initially shift it into first, the 4WD light comes on and the 4WD seems to engage sometimes. When I shift it out of first, the light goes off. I previously replaced the entire shift knob and 4wd button assembly as it was stuck when I got the truck.

Any ideas?

2. Nicholas Harteau

Nicholas Harteau New Member

That very much sounds like a short in the 4wd button wiring, especially given that you replaced it (and presumably mucked with the wiring?).

3. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

Your friction material being loose was the reason why you could turn the wheel in only one direction. It was jam up between the other pad and the drum in whichever direction it was not letting you spin.

Are you shifting into first, or are you shifting into Extra Low? EL automatically engages 4WD by default, and it allows the use of the Differential Lock (if equipped). There is no gear directly down from EL. It is laid out like this:

Code:
    EL   1   3   5
    |    |   |   |
    --------------
         |   |   |
         2   4   R