1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

91 Sambar- Possibly Nearing Engine Failure- Opinions?

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Mckenzie27, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Mckenzie27

Mckenzie27 New Member

I have a 1991 Sambar (van) with 103k km on it. I bought it about 5 months ago and have put 10k km on it since then with no issues.

It has an oil leak since i've had it. I've always kept it topped up on oil, but it does go through quite a lot. I took it into a mechanic who had some experience with a Sambar previously and he diagnosed it as "Various oil leaks-from cam cover gasket, possibly cam seal and crank seal, also left and right output shaft seals leaking.".
    BUT at the same time told me he fears it may be nearing engine failure due to the "engine knock". It has been making this sound since i've had it.. I may have just gotten lucky that it hasn't failed up until now- but I have read that engine knock can be due to other problems. He has advised me to sell it onto someone who will be willing to take it on as a project when the engine does go as he quoted the rebuild to be about $5000 at least. I would love to try to avoid this I know Sambar's can just have faulty engines- but I LOVE this van. Does anyone have any experience to offer up on this situation ? Dealing with engine failure and rebuilds ? Is it worth it ?

If not I am wondering what would be a reasonable price to ask. The exterior and interior are both in great shape. The heat doesn't work very well in the front ( but the backseat heater is perfect) and the gas gauge doesn't work. As mentioned it has 103k km on it.

I am trying to decide between investing money into repairs or selling on and would just appreciate any general advice or information anyone has to offer up.

2. SpikeFiend

SpikeFiend Member

Is it EFI or carbureted?

3. holeworx

holeworx New Member

4. holeworx

holeworx New Member

5. Maximal

Maximal Active Member

You sure it just doesn't need valve adjustment? 95% sure en07 have non hydraulic adjustable valves and at 100k if they've never been adjusted they can make noise. I'd get a second opinion

6. jason mcbeth

jason mcbeth Member

will those piston rings work for an EN07 engine?

7. Maximal

Maximal Active Member

just to re-add to this, every Sambar ive now had leaks from the cam seal. even with 15w-40 basic oil, no matter what they leak a bit from that area. knocking could be the throwout bearing, my 91 made a loud knock warm that went away with the clutch pedal in that was for sure throwout bearing, even my 97 when it had 40,000km only had a very quiet knocking warm that went away with the clutch pedal in. cam seals and throwout bearing knocks are just what they do i guess.

8. David Ogden

David Ogden Member

That is probably the crankshaft thrust bearings, not the trow out bearing. When you push in the clutch it puts pressure on the rear thrust and stops the crank from floating back&forth. The throw out is doing nothing at all if the clutch isn't being used.

fmartin_gila likes this.
  9. Maximal

Maximal Active Member

Pretty sure its the throwout bearing, my 91 knocked at idle foot off clutch but press in the clutch pedal and it completely went away. Every sambar I've owned and driven makes the noise, I still have the drivetrain from my 91 and might separate the trans to see how the throwout is

Derek Groth likes this.
  10. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

I’love throw in with Dave. Sounds like thrust bearing gap.

If you put a dial indicator, on the flywheel and force it from as far forward as you, and then get it to as far back. That is the gap on the thrust bearing. It should be about 3-thousandths. I’m guessing you will find it is up around 6-thousandths or more.

11. David Ogden

David Ogden Member

Unless you have the clutch cable adjusted too tight the trow out bearing is not turning or touching the pressure plate so how is it going to make noise?

fmartin_gila likes this.