1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

91 ACTY no power after 2nd gear

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by DaddyS, Oct 29, 2015.

1. DaddyS

DaddyS New Member

I just picked up a 91 Acty. Starts and runs at idle like a good little Honda. Lots of power in first. Shift to second and there is power until the top of the power band and then it dies off. Third gear (and all others after) have the motor dying off under throttle, but if you feather the throttle it is possible to continue moving forward a few revs above idle.
    I have looked through other posts and see no specific mention of this problem. I am wondering what area I should focus in on.
    Air filter is new. No blockage leading to air box. Carb was apart and looks tidy. Jets were not plugged. Fuel pump whirrs away contently and produces a good flow at the carb. (No pressure reading but a good volume).
    New(ish) exhaust. No restrictions.
    Oil is fresh and at level.
    Head looks shiny. Possibly new. Valve settings appear spot on.
    New alt. and starter.
    Heater fan at dash does not operate. (Just putting that out there)
    Assist fan (under body right side) has a manual switch wired in. Thermoswitch must have been bad.
    Temp gauge has not budged after 40 minutes of running. Air has been bled from system.

Plugs, wires and rotor could be suspect.
    Solenoids at carb could be suspect.

Where should I look/spend money first? Could a fuel issue cause this (solenoids)? Could I have ignition components breaking down?
    Thoughts on where to start appreciated.

2. shogun

shogun Active Member

3. DaddyS

DaddyS New Member

So search with the idea that a solenoid is stuck and starving the carb? Sounds like a plan. I will test them tomorrow (hopefully) and post result. I may throw new spark plugs in it as well for good measure.
    Thanks for the response.

4. shogun

shogun Active Member

here how to test the solenoids

5. DaddyS

DaddyS New Member

Carb off again and tested solenoids. Everything functioning.
    Pulled spark plugs and cleaned them. Gap and colour were good.
    Cleaned rotor and cap.
    Some build up in vacuum lines. Blew these out.
    test ran. Awesome cold. problem returned when warm with slight "burps" of power.
    Continued to run it up and down the gears and performance continued to improve.
    Hit a pothole, heater in cab started working and the truck came on to full power. I'm going to check all of the ground to body connections next, but the truck is running fantastically now.
    Thanks for all the input!

6. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

Bad or marginal grounds can and have caused some weird gremlins and are usually elusive to find. Many years ago had a 1987 Chevvy S10 giving some intermitant running problems, finally found a loose screw for a grounding lug under the dash, problem solved.

Fred

7. Borg

Borg Member

Change your fuel filter?

Mine would run fine till I got to 5th gear, then the constant fuel draw at high RPM would overcome the flow from the old fuel filter.. and it would start bucking and quit, till you slowed down.

The filter is beside the gas tank, and ask for an early 80's Honda filter, they're the same... $5 at your local parts store.

8. DaddyS

DaddyS New Member

Thanks for the tip on what to ask for, I get a lot of blank stares at parts counters.

9. Borg

Borg Member

I think I asked for an '81 Prelude... just Google the Acty filter, and get one that looks the same...

Just FYI they also come with a 30 degree outlet or something... it will still work, but you might as well get the straight one, just to make sure it fits better.

10. DaddyS

DaddyS New Member

Update on the issue.
    Turned out the problem was at the ignition switch. Poor connection at the wiring connecting to the bottom of the switch. Cleaned the connection point and added solder. Problem has not returned.
    Now...what to do next? Springs and tires? Brush guard and roll cage? Plow? Hmmmm.

11. shogun

shogun Active Member

Strange, because it started and runs. If it would be the ignition switch with poor connection at the wiring connecting to the bottom of the switch, then it would also make probs when starting the engine. Your first post was:

" Starts and runs at idle like a good little Honda. Lots of power in first. Shift to second and there is power until the top of the power band and then it dies off. Third gear (and all others after) have the motor dying off under throttle, but if you feather the throttle it is possible to continue moving forward a few revs above idle."

Let us know, if the problem comes back.