1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

90 Carry Front Receiver Mount

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by Papagator, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Papagator

Papagator Member

I have fabricated a simple and very clean solution for a Front Receiver Mount for my 90 Carry. It does not effect the Front clearance and its relatively simple to create and install.

Attached Files:

2. RevDoc

RevDoc New Member

Excellent!

I've been trying to find an elegant solution to the same problem.
    My Mitsubishi is low enough to the ground as it is, and I need a brush guard to protect the plastic in front, and more importantly, the radiator bottom, which is taking a beating from my normal driving conditions.

I'll do a bit of measuring later today.

3. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

Nice clean setup Papagator :)

4. davecaris

davecaris New Member

I like it, great simple and strong design!

5. Papagator

Papagator Member

Thanks for the positive comments guys. I looked at the underside for hours trying to see what was possible. One thing I found was really handy. I built templates for each "wing plate" out of stiff cardboard first. That helped line it all up and give me an idea of angles. Another thing -- drill the holes in your plates slightly larger than required. Believe me that would have saved hours of frustrating, knucklebusting fun......lol. Getting it all welded up tomorrow. Will post pictures of the completed unit.... winch on!

Hope I have inspired some new creations out there. Now on to Bush Guards and bumpers when I dont need the winch......

6. Papagator

Papagator Member

Final Install

Here are the pictures of the final install. :pop: Very happy with the outcome. :D
    The Receiver is only 2 inches from the front of the bumper....perfect. Its strong too!
    I stood on the platform before we welded the Receiver on....it didnt flinch.

Hope it works on other trucks. :cool:

Papagator

Attached Files:

spaner likes this.
  7. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Nice job, +1 for thinking outside the box.

I hope you don't mind me making a suggestion though...

I noticed the final install "mesh", doesn't look like your "protection", not sure, but I strongly suggest that you make-up a "drag-link-mounting" protection bar. I spent a lot of time under there as well and before I decided to just cover the works with the slider, I was going to mount some drag-link "sliders"...."half-pipes", like this...

pipe-S.JPG

Believe me, you don't want this to happen...

2RightBentF.jpg 4RightBentR.jpg

Those little lips on the drag-link faces catch rocks, sometimes the kind that don't move. Took 8hr of work to fix everything. Also, you can see on my truck that the drag-link mountings are slightly different but, you're mod is still possible for this type, just a little more work. I never thought of doing it that way but probably would have stole the idea if I didn't have a full slider.

Expect to see that design from a few vendors now....:p

8. Papagator

Papagator Member

Spaner.

Thanks for the Heads up......I can see what you mean. My "mesh" was meant for the occasional stick/log/smaller rock that I happened over. With your sliders, the main idea is to deflect the Truck up and over the far more solid immovable objects (ie - the Planet) rather than collapse/crush/seriously bend the drag links. Most definately an idea whose time should come before what happened to you. Alright then, back to the drawing board.

Thanks for the positives.

Papagator

9. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say "drawing board". You've got a 10 out of 10 unit there, that I suggest needs an addition...for a totally unrelated purpose...

BTW, my little factory "crash-bars" under there, the tubes...destroyed them on the first little "nothing" rock pile, first season...garbage...

10. Papagator

Papagator Member

spaner

Thanks for the compliment. No offence taken btw - "back to the drawing board" is just my way of saying I'm working on a solution to the problem you encountered. Really enjoy designing little fixes for my Suki. Would not want that to happen to me.

Also working on a Canopy/Cover for those nasty days up north. Want something that I can quickly set up and take down. (and that can pack away for the road trip north) Have some ideas....need more time.....damn day job...lol

Papagator

11. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

if the day job is the problem get a night job like me lol :) im on here more at work than home

12. OutdoorsNS

OutdoorsNS Member

13. Papagator

Papagator Member

OutdoorsNS

Took a look at your build pictures.....well done.

Papagator

14. Papagator

Papagator Member

Spaner

Have you encountered any cooling/overheating problems with a full coverage slider? Upon reflection....I do have a tendency to try and get over/through immovable objects, so I will be looking into this more.

Papagator

15. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

I'd say...no,
    I do have an issue with the cooling system, due to corrosion, intermittent, but manageable.
    I would suggest, and I'm going to start doing this now,...that everytime you pull the bumper or rear cover, you replace at least one line while you're in there. I thought that contamination would eventually work it's way out...nope
    I've gone through 3 inline filters, and that's after washing each of them out once, so..6..

Funny that you mention the slider just now. I was at the same place that my front-end damage was done at just last week and I was watching for my nemesis; Big Bertha...Overgrown, different, in August. BANG...
    The front-end and slider went over it soundlessly. The second cross-member didn't fair so well. Wrapped the right side back 70 degrees and put a bow in it. Fixable, but I would suggest that you go with an 8 foot length, and cover to the tranny crossmember.

The slider itself is indestructible.

I've been thinking about a pop-up for the box for a long time. Not to that project yet. With my bush experience, I'd suggest "professional moving blankets" with both inner and outer cover of roofing rubber (comes in big rolls). Just my thoughts.

http://www.amazon.com/Moving-Blanke...3DPA/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_img_c/189-4961011-4590601

16. Papagator

Papagator Member

Spaner

Glad to hear that some bottom end protection doesnt cause overheating problems. What kind and size of material did you use for your slider?

I know already that I will want and need one......lol.....where I hunt, there are plenty of "Big Berthas" just waiting to make a surprize appearance.......especially when you are staring off into the wilderness...

Next Project: For my box cover/canopy I am thinking very light/easily stored and assembled. It doesn't need to carry anything, just provide a frame for a cover.....One inch Schedule 40 PVC with some sort of filler to stiffen them....say 3/4 inch wooden dowels....that would fit the bill. Maybe aluminium square tubing. Any ideas?

I have found an internet place that sells camo tarps....will look into the quality.

Thanks for all your ideas Spaner.

17. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

18. Papagator

Papagator Member

firejonny89

Thanks for the heads up and the thread reference. I am looking at it now.....quite the deal

Papagator

19. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

your welcome starts on 16 and price and size on 17 i think but the hole thread is a good read

20. Papagator

Papagator Member

Gentlemen. :eek:

Just back from the first Hunting trip for my Carry and tested all the modifications I have made. Without question, the Suzuki is the best thing I have bought for hunting. It not only passed with flying colors....it kept up to my friend's Polaris 6x6! With the added bonus of having a nice warm cab to sit in....lol. :cool: General reactions ranged from grins and smiles to one fellow who stopped me on the road and said...."Tell me you love that truck"....we spent 15 minutes telling him yes and why. Here are some pictures. Used the front and back winch mounts to hang animals....not a problem. Loaded in a thousand pounds of moose and clawed my way through 500 yards of clear cut....(actually was easier on the way out...far more traction...lol) Took it places we have never been able to get through and climbed higher than we have ever been. One new modification needed though.....fender flares....The little girl will flip mud right into the cab....lol. Bottom Line...Very impressed...cant wait to get out again.
    IMG_1652.jpg IMG_1668.jpg IMG_1711.jpg IMG_1716.jpg IMG_1717.jpg

21. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

I had the same problem but with rocks coming in the windows and hitting my mirrors used pacer flexy flare I think is what it's called ill have to look up the number

22. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

23. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Mine does the same. 11" wides in the back and it will toss clay 20 feet into the air when I hammer down.
    Nice pics, the fun never ends in the back country with these little guys. I just love meeting someone new while out and about and saying "follow me"...
    I end up using the truck as winch point for them...:)

24. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

Yea I bet it does toss clay like he!! Lol

25. Papagator

Papagator Member

firejonny89: Thanks for the link. Do you have to slice wedge cuts into the backing to make the curves or does it flex enough?

spaner: Thankfully didnt test the front end bottom protection (ie slider) but really happy with the Front winch Mount...they de-activate logging roads up here....which means cutting a deep trench accross them....loved the fact that I could roll right through them without touching anything on the front end.

Papagator

26. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

On the back I just put a few extra screws and let it do its thing on the front I think I made two wedge cuts on each side and put a few extra screws I had an extra pack laying around. I wanted to make sure it wouldn't come off if I bumped a tree lightly with it. It will help to have someone help hold it while u set the screws. I did mine alone but one more hand would have been great don't forget to put a little paint in the holes to help cut down rust

27. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Trenching is typical as well in northern ontario. Sometimes doubles, one trench plus two crossing mounds, one each side....all times two. Sometimes three.

More trenches means longer road behind it. 200+ km.

28. Papagator

Papagator Member

Spaner

Back from Hunting. "Kamo-Zuki" as my Daughter has now named it came through with flying colors!! Took it places we had never been able to get to before.....went with my buddy's 6x6 Polaris everywhere....then passed him when we hit open road....lol. Very successful trip. Hauled 1000lbs of moose 500yds across an old clearcut without any trouble. Used the front receiver mount to winch them up to hang....perfect. Learned some great lessons on my trailering setup and a couple of must haves for the next trip (Fender flares!) Did not run into anything that needed your slider setup...thankfully... I posted a couple of pictures on another thread but will include them here. Thanks for everyones advice!

Papagator

IMG_1668.jpg IMG_1652.jpg IMG_1680.jpg .

29. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Very cool, glads you had the good times; and thanks for the post.
    I can see that you have the "wide" rims, that only some can dream of ? ...don't know...but many go with the standard rims; and I can't seem to convince them of the necessity of such, with regard to the wide mud-meats that you have there. Maybe you can, I give up...

In it all, depends on where you go.
    With the 489s, with the 11s in the rear...I seem to be able to go just about anywhere that I chose.
    Tracks might be better; I think just for ripping undercarrage stuff off though..he, he...still, the SLIDER keeps me out of the "muskeg"...

I too, have had the moose in the rear. Next time, show us the "gutting", and I'll show you a few "bush-drag-tricks"...of the trade;

I love, having the winch, and the "power-pack"; separate of the truck...independent; "stand-alown" units.
    Maybe that could help you out...

Tree, to tree, to tree, to truck.

1/4ters to the truck is just something from the past...:cool: