1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

90-97? ACTY air filter build from K&N 4430

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by Bert Stevens, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Bert Stevens

Bert Stevens Active Member

Hello All, I own a 1990 Honda ACTY, I didn't want to keep buying over priced air filter, K&N doesn't make one. So I did. With a K$N 4430.
    parts.jpg
    using old filter parts,
    first remove rubber parts from the metal parts of the old filter, we don't want to ruin them. We need them.
    remove.jpg

I soaked my old filter in diesel, burned out the paper, and then, with propane torch, heated the ends from the backside to rid them of the last bits of rubber. You may want to go about this differently. If you burn yourself or others, it is not my fault. Stay SAFE.
    airends.jpg
    I didn't use the metal core.

Clean and paint ends, etc.
    paintedends.jpg

If you put the rubber parts back on while paint is wet, the paint will glue them in place. A little weight helps.
    littleweight.jpg

I was hoping that I wouldn't have to cut the ends off the new filter, but it was just a bit too long.
    I tried installing on the truck, (without gluing, first) It was really hard to get the wingnut on so...

So I cut one end off the new filter. Cut just inside one rubber end, with a fine tooth blade, I used a band saw, but hacksaw should work. Be careful to cut it parallel to other end! Just below rubber is perfect. Only one end. If you cut both off IT WILL BE too short. (sorry no picture)

Use lots of gasket maker, both on filter and on the metal end.
    silonends.jpg
    I choose the outer end, because the filter sides wanted to pull inward and that works well on that end.

Put together and let dry.

Finally I put the K&N sticker on the inside of the Airbox cap, just to remind me.
    sticker.jpg

Enjoy cleanable lifetime filter.

2. DWils

DWils Member

Crap that sounds like a lot of work. There are no other filters that will work for our vehicles?

3. shogun

shogun Active Member

4. DWils

DWils Member

5. harley rose

harley rose Member

6. DWils

DWils Member

Now THAT's an air filter!