1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

89 DB41T F5B

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by Zakath, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Zakath

Zakath New Member

Hello all,
    So here it is i blew the head gasket again. my only thought is the bolts stretched 3 were not at 68NM. So i decided to take the engine apart and have some fun questions.
    #1 my boar is 65mm stroke as far as i can find is 55mm so a F6A is 65X66mm could i use a f6a crank?
    #2 I have called ARP and should have studs here next week. anyone else do this?
    #3 more power is my quest i am trying to find parts do get a bit more out of this engine electronic ignition??? Pertonix does not list anything. but plenty of ford tractors are 3cyl.
    #4 Gasket matching the head and intake any real benefit to this?
    #5 i see manuals for the db71t and the DB51 but nothing for the 41

2. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Pertronix has two versions for the Denso three cylinder distributor with points. The model number depends on if the rotor rotates clockwise (1631), or counterclockwise (1632).

You wont find them by looking by vehicle, because they haven’t cataloged the minitrucks. You should call Pertronix Tech Support with your distributor number, and rotation, to be sure if they would fit.

I have a 1631, I decided not to install, because my Hijet has a Hall Effect pickup already. I also have the 40611, 40,000-Volt coil that goes with it both are new in the box. If they would work for you, I’ll make you a deal.

Pertronix 1631 Denso 3 Cylinder Ignitor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004OXK4IC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_xZkMEbR4R4F5E

Pertronix 1632 Denso 3 Cylinder Ignitor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004OXRASY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_p4kMEbJNB2QPG

PerTronix 40611 Flame-Thrower 40,000 Volt 3.0 ohm Coil https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000N2XOYE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_N5kMEbSVRCMAD

3. Zakath

Zakath New Member

On my distributor I see no numbers or manufacturer. Unless it is stamped under the rotation assembly. I did order new rotation assembly bearings on the box it says F6a. My main are 40mm ish and rods are 36mm ish. The only thing I can think of is that the F6a rods are shorter than the f5b.

4. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

They are small stickers, and are easily covered in a bit of grime and dirt, or out of sight when installed.

But, I have yet to see a distributor without on on it somewhere.

5. Zakath

Zakath New Member

Well if it was a sticker and not a plate. It is gone when I get back to the shop I'll try to snap a few pics of it

6. Zakath

Zakath New Member

So I made it to the shop and looked diligently at my distributor and no stickers or numbers on it that can be read. In other news I found some ARP stud's and nuts for the head. As far as I can tell the block and head are flat and not warped. The threads in the block are clean and look great, so I am thinking that the old bolts stretched. At the moment I am preparing for paint.

Limestone likes this.
  7. Zakath

Zakath New Member

8. installater

installater Active Member

OUTSTANDING, I would like to be able to do that
    great pics keep them coming, not to many F5A stuff on the board
    seems to be 90 up
    Regards
    Brian

Limestone likes this.
  9. Zakath

Zakath New Member

This is the head with the studs just so you can see there height not much taller then stock bolts. only down side i see is now i would have to remove the engine for any head work.
    just for info the stud part number i used was AM3.800-1LB. the ones on the dowel pins are a bit short but worked out i did get the next size longer but would interfere with the cam. i really do hope this doesn't happen again for a long time.

Last edited: May 12, 2020