1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

88 Suzuki Carry steering wheel adaptor

Discussion in 'Mini Lounge' started by Johnal3, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Johnal3

Johnal3 New Member

First off, I'm a new(ish) owner of a 1988 Suzuki carry. I just found this site through Google and it looks very informative. I look forward to solving any issues I have thru here and learning a little about my truck.
    Now for my question:
    I've bought an aftermarket 10" Grant steering wheel to create a little more room for my bulky hunting clothes and don't know what adapter will fit my truck. The folks at Grant aren't sure either. I've found the one for an 88 Samuri, and it looks like it might work, but I wanted to check here and see if anyone knew for sure. Thanks.
    Here's a pic of my truck btw just for giggles.....
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

2. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

No help as to your inquiry, but just to welcome you to the forum. Impressive looking bumpers & hitch setup installed. Had those same tires on a Polaris 500 ATV I owned when I lived back in the states, very good all around tire. Have a friend who has a Polaris 900 rig the same as what is sitting next to it with hand controls as he is paralyzed from the waist down.

Fred

3. Johnal3

Johnal3 New Member

Thanks for the compliments and the welcome! I have a friend at the fire station that I work at that welded up the bumpers for me. The pics were taken at a friends house where we painted it, so that isn't my 900. I can't afford all those toys! ;)

4. ttc

ttc Active Member

i cut the mounts on my hijet and moved the column forward to give more room and height to get my left leg in.

5. Johnal3

Johnal3 New Member

That's a little more modifying than I want to do, but will keep that in mind. Thanks for the idea.

6. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

Im very interested in exactly what all you did to the steering?
    A pic would be great?

7. Johnal3

Johnal3 New Member

I haven't done anything yet. Between work and hunting, I haven't spent the time to figure something out. I'm probably gonna buy an adaptor for a samuri and see if it works first before I try anything invasive.

8. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

I had been thinking of doing a left hand drive to give more room for my feet?
    But if I can just move the steering post itself, even if it means relocating the rack below isn't a deal breaker!
    I plan on putting a 3/8 plate across the front to lower the rod mounts and my brush guard mount too!

9. Johnal3

Johnal3 New Member

A left hand drive would sure give you a little more room and it'd keep me from walking to the wrong door every time I go to drive it. :)
    Obviously I'm still green when it comes to MTs.
    I don't want to get into tearing it down and rebuilding it. One, I'm not mechanically inclined enough....two, I don't have the time or space.
    Good luck with yours! I hope it goes well. Post up some pics on here when you get er finished.

10. biggens57

biggens57 New Member

hey johnal3 biggens57 here was wanting to do the same thing on my 94 being a husky guy myself so if you finger it out let me know ...thanks ...good luck

11. Johnal3

Johnal3 New Member

Will do biggens. Think I'm just gonna order the samurai adapter and see if it works. I'll send it back if it don't and carry my truck to a machine shop to have it done.

12. bci2nd

bci2nd New Member

Here are the grant products youll need to mount the steering wheel. I ordered everything last week planning on doing the same.

Attached Files:

13. biggens57

biggens57 New Member

hey johnal3 biggens57 here again tanks 4 that in fo going to order it going to do belts hoses carb an timing belt so i,ll add 1 more thing .....thanks

14. Johnal3

Johnal3 New Member

Thanks bc! I'll be ordering and getting this done!

15. JInman

JInman New Member

So did the samurai adapter work? I have a '94 carry and am thinking of putting a different steering wheel in it too...thanks!