1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

88' Mazda Bongo Dually, New Owner

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by swenger, Dec 12, 2020.

1. swenger

swenger New Member

Hello All,
    What a wealth of info. I am a new minitruck (even though it is on the bigger side) owner and I look forward to the journey. I am looking to check in with folks if they have any personal experience with this era of Mazda Bongo. I'm happy to share anything I learn as well, open to questions!

I'm currently looking for parts; air filter, timing and other belts, and exhaust parts (specifically the section between the manifold and the rest of the exhaust that reduces it further 2 to 1). I have started the ball rolling with megazip (as I saw it in one of the threads here) but if anyone has other suggestions please let me know.

This truck is carbureted, but it has a catalytic converter and O2 sensor. Any ideas about this? Perhaps it's not as strange as it seems to me.
    Thanks folks!
    Seth

Bongo_Bongo likes this.
  2. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

sweng,
    Welcome, and thanks for updating your Sig. on your Profile! I'm sure someone, more familiar with your unit will chime in soon! Good Luck!
    Limestone

3. Bongo_Bongo

Bongo_Bongo New Member

Welcome Swenger,
    Super stoked to see another Bongo on the forum. I have absolutely enjoyed mine. Sorry mine isn't quite from the same era, (mine is an '02) and I am not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination. I can say that I have used Megazip before with good results.

Limestone likes this.
  4. swenger

swenger New Member

Bongo_Bongo, thanks for reaching out. I bet there is not a ton (bad pun) of difference between your 02 and my 88. I actually hit a dead end with Megazip, as they do not have the parts catalog for my model and VIN. Did they have it for yours?

If anyone else here has parts advice, I'd be very grateful!

S

5. Koffer

Koffer Active Member

Had a diesel version for a couple of years , Ford rebadged it in the UK and was able to get brake parts from there . As for it being a one ton , but isn’t happy with 2 tons :eek: 553D18BF-806D-4304-8E7A-4B0577E36799.jpeg

Bongo_Bongo likes this.
  6. swenger

swenger New Member

Hot dang!!! I was hesitating one of the 250 gallon IBCs... no busted suspension parts?
    Do you know what its Ford UK name was (do i see a 'ranger' tag in your pic)? Was that release diesel only?

7. Koffer

Koffer Active Member

No broken parts , 4 very unhappy tires tho , it’s actually a bongo tag 11800231-EF15-4CD7-AC02-60DE2109F805.jpeg sort of hard to read in the pictures

Bongo_Bongo likes this.
  8. Koffer

Koffer Active Member

The only thing I had an issue with it was the shifter linkage made it very vague And sloppy so make driving a bit of a chore even with only having like 48k KLM’s on it . Might have been bad linkage bushings but never dug into it . Plus having my 80 year old deaf ass father who won’t get a hearing aid driving it was a issue as he didn’t know what gear he was in so the poor thing probably had more 2 to 1st or 3 to 2 or 5th to 2 nd shifts I really didn’t want to know about .

9. Bongo_Bongo

Bongo_Bongo New Member

Sorry that you can't find your model number, when I put my model number into Megazips search engine it comes up with an SK82L Mitsubishi Delica truck, same model number as mine. I am sure that they are essentially identical trucks. It has worked so far for the oil filters, one upper ball joint, and sun visor I've purchased through them. So far I haven't needed any major parts so I haven't had to take any major chances on parts being the same.