1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

87 Suzuki Carry - Norway

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by MadsV, Sep 5, 2013.

1. MadsV

MadsV New Member

Hello!

I just bought a Suzuki Carry, and done some research to find out it's a 1987 DB71T, seems like a rare model as the info online is not much!
    I live in Norway, and this car is most likely the only one in the country.. My friends grandpa imported it from Japan in 1988 when he was a missionary over there in the 80's. It's right hand drive and pretty small for a 1.90(6 feet 2) tall guy! Love this car, been wanting to buy it for years and finally got it.
    So as you probably understand there isn't much help on norwegian forums for this car..

IMG_2605.JPG IMG_2634.JPG IMG_2631.JPG IMG_2630.JPG
    Lift table got big with the carry on it haha

It's originally a F5A engine, 3 cylinder. But after my friend took it for a spin in water in 2009 it has not run since.. I got it running last week but it's not good. So I bought a Suzuki SJ410, with a F10A engine, a pulled it out the same day. It's almost an identical engine, just a little longer since it's one cylinder extra. Have to do some welding on the oil pan to make it fit. Transmission fitted right on

IMG_2638.JPG IMG_2646.JPG IMG_2647.JPG

I work at a body shop, and when the car is up and running fine I'm going to fix all damages, rust etc, sand it down, then paint it a modern white colour. Been snapchatting with a guy i found on instagram from Australia with a yellow carry with flares, and will probably make some flares like this!

IMG_2633.jpg IMG_2610.jpg

When it comes to wheels, I need some help! I know it's 4x114,3/4x115/4x4,5 and have found wheels that's 12x7 with allright offset, but no one mentions/knows the dimension of the hub bore/hub center(?).. Because my car has 4WD with high and low gear, AND free wheel hubs on front axle! So the rims have to have a hub bore at least 74mm to go over the hubs. Anyone knows something that will fit?

Long post but :)

Here's a pic of my daily drive, Suzuki Jimny 2000mod.

IMG_2637.JPG

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  2. Suzuki91

Suzuki91 New Member

Hi MadsV,
    I just joined the forum and read your post, nice truck! I have a 1989 Carry 4x4 with the F5A engine, parts and info are not as common as for the newer trucks with the 660 engines. My truck does not have manual locking hubs so I can't offer any help on wheels. You are correct on the wheel stud measurements, just keep in mind that you can use 13" wheels and this may give you more options. Keep us posted on your engine swap and any new details.

3. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Hey MadsV,

What you have there is the holy grail of the "F" series production. The F10a, yes, as you've discovered, it bolts right on, (any F-series will) and, it's a slant engine, does it fit in the truck? We'll get to that.

I've been looking for one for about 5 years. There are NONE here, in North America. You could do SO much with that engine. 8.8CR; just shaving the head to 10.0, and going to a 2" exhaust would get you close to the 100hp mark on pump gas. Sky's the limit from there. 2.5" exhaust, a 1-bar boost. Racing cam...how much hp do you want?

I've got a full manual set on pdf for the "GA413", but manuals are easy to come by for that model and year.
    Good luck with the project, and ho yea, the problem you're going to run into is with the front-right diff mounting on the cross member. Do a 4" lift on it at the same time? It might give you enough room to clear the crank pulley. Many options.

Love the pics

Pos likes this.
  4. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

5. muddy moose

muddy moose Member

Awww maaannnn.........spaner!!! You shouldn't have post that link........ Thanx a lot man!! I have been looking all over looking for an f10 or f12 for a while. Didn't even think about a samari hahaha.

MadsV ...... Looks like you will have one mean machine!! I can't wait to live vicariously threw your pics and posts!!! Hahaha

6. MadsV

MadsV New Member

Hey i will post more photos when i have the time!
    F10a is as easy to find as cheese in the store in norway:) a co-worker of mine runs a f10a with a small turbo from bmw diesel, easy as hell !

7. muddy moose

muddy moose Member

Hahaha yea yea yea.......... Y'all must have them all over there there Hahaha all we have an abundance of are salmon, moose, and bear! Hahaha

8. siberhusky0

siberhusky0 New Member

How is that F10 working out in your carry? I have a 86 with the F5, runs great but low on power.

9. MadsV

MadsV New Member

It's not in yet, been working on motor brackets. But hoping on doing some work this weekend

10. MadsV

MadsV New Member

Dumping photos, got my wheels today!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

New tire on the daily ride too!
    [​IMG]

11. masspilot2004

masspilot2004 Member

what size itp wheels are those do you have a part number for them

12. MadsV

MadsV New Member

13. MadsV

MadsV New Member

[​IMG]
    Looks great

14. MadsV

MadsV New Member

Just more photos
    image.jpg

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  15. siberhusky0

siberhusky0 New Member

Wasn't able to open the pics you posted, came back as "invalid attachment" Wheels/tires look great, did you happen to measure the difference in diameter between those and the stock wheels/tires? Reason I ask is I ended up buying a stock size mud tire, (good ride on street, suck in mud) not wanting to go taller with the F5A & loose power.

16. MadsV

MadsV New Member

Did not measure no, i can check tomorrow.
    Swapped in the f10a engine today, little surprise i wasn't aware of haha
    image.jpg

17. packrat

packrat Member

Is that engine out of the SJ410? On the two engines I have, out of 1988 carrys the distributor sticks straight back. If you can't find that, you might be able to modify a 3 cylinder distributor out of a Suzuki car with the 4 cylinder trigger plate

18. siberhusky0

siberhusky0 New Member

Looks like the issue is where it mounts, not the distributor. Different F10 blocks for the 1 liter super carry vs., other vehicles with the F10? How is the rest of the swap coming along? If you have ever drove it with the F5, Ill bet the benefits of the swap will be apparent before you get 300 yards from your shop.

19. siberhusky0

siberhusky0 New Member

Did you get a chance to measure the wheel/tire height compared to stock?

20. MadsV

MadsV New Member

[​IMG]

Not much difference

21. MadsV

MadsV New Member

Anybody have a intake manifold from a f10a that sits in carry originally?

22. packrat

packrat Member

I have one here in Toronto. If you're interested, PM me. I don't know what shipping would be

23. MadsV

MadsV New Member

Could you post a photo? How much do you want for it? I don't know how much shipping to norway will cost..

24. packrat

packrat Member

hey, I just had a look, and I won't be able to get to it till we get a thaw. It's under a tarp, still on an engine in the box of my spare truck, which in turn is covered in snow, ice and other various things including a boat. The truck it was off of is a 1988 carry van (every?) that Suzuki Canada had over here for testing back then (long story). It's the same as any other manifold that I've seen off of similar year trucks here and in New Zealand. As far as cost, you can have it for nothing, other than shipping, and I can probably get a reasonable rate for you on that too. It's supposed to warm up on the weekend so I can probably pull it out then.

25. MadsV

MadsV New Member

Great! Its the angle on the manifold thats important, on regular f10a that sits in SJ410 the manifold sticks right out as the engine is straight and not in an angle as in the carry..and that wont fit

26. packrat

packrat Member

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  27. MadsV

MadsV New Member

Whups, can't see any!

28. packrat

packrat Member

I reattached them as files. If this doesn't work, I'll try to send them in a private message. They show up for me

29. MadsV

MadsV New Member

That looks great, I'll pm you my address

30. Bugalydosh

Bugalydosh New Member

Can anyone share their experiences with changing the F5A to an F8A or F10A?