1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4x4 will not work

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by rschuck, Aug 27, 2011.

1. rschuck

rschuck New Member

I have a 1995 Carry and the 4x4 is not working. The light in the dash will not even come on. I lifted the truck thinking it could just be the light but it wasn't it seems the axle lock is not working either. I need help. I looked for loose or broken vacuum line but i did not see anything wrong. Don't know what controls what. Please if any of you have any ideas i could use the help.

2. Nautydog1

Nautydog1 Member

vacuum leaks are 85% of carb and idling problems, use a vacuum gauge or carb cleaner, carb cleaner will send the engine to high idle if you have a vacuum leak, make sure the vacuum port in the air cleaner canister is working properly, also check that your vacuum advance hose isn’t cracked coming off the distributor to the vacuum manifold tree. The vacuum manifold tree is brass on the bottom to go in to the block and plastic on top. Plastic wears out with time and will break or leak, which causes a vacuum leak. Some manifold vacuum trees are 3 or 4 port, make sure to replace it with a new one. When I buy parts I buy 3 at a time that way I have them on hand or in case they can’t get them any more. The vacuum manifold tree is located behind the carb. If you looking at the carb from the right side of the bed, it will be to your 1 O’clock tucked down inside. Remember to use a marker or different colored tape to mark the vacuum lines so you know where everything goes back too! Good luck!’:cool:

3. ColinT1

ColinT1 New Member

Not familiar with the older trucks, mine is a 2003 carry. But I had an issue with getting it in 4wd after I had the transfer case apart. Felt like something was stopping the shifter from moving. Ended up being the "detent ball and spring" that holds it in each 4wd mode, it got water in there and rusted, stuck.

Lithium grease and a new ball/spring did the job for me.

4. ColinT1

ColinT1 New Member

Hope this helps at all!

Attached Files: