1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4x4 help, not engaging

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by Jeff Brown, May 3, 2021.

1. Jeff Brown

Jeff Brown New Member

I have a 1996 U41T with push button 4x4, looking for any info as to troubleshooting. The switch checked good with a meter but not sure what it powers and if there is suppose to be an indication on the dash as to when it is in 4wd. Also I just installed a brand new 3G83 Engine and if anyone is looking for a hemi head engine or a fresh hemi head that I had rebuilt for the old engine, I have one ready to go. Thanks in advance.

2. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Typically the 4wd is engaged by vacuum actuators.

Typical set up Is: Dash switches feed a relay, which in turn feeds current to a vacuum switch. The vacuum is applied to the actuator canister and that causes the transfer case, and/or axles to lock in or out.

Some of the makes route the current through switches in the console or transmission to prevent locking the upper gears in anything beside 1,2 and reverse. Some don’t. My Hijet has that feature in high range, and it will let me lock in any gear in low range.

3. Jeff Brown

Jeff Brown New Member

4. Jeff Brown

Jeff Brown New Member

Thanks for the help, I might have to just trace wires to components, the problem I am ha INC without a manual is identifying what parts are where. At least you gave me a starting point and hopefully with a little luck I can figure it out. Again, thanks for your time