1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4WD won't engage

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by speedy67, Feb 24, 2008.

1. speedy67

speedy67 Member

My little Camo truck won't engage 4X4.

I'm thinking it's electrical. I checked all the fuses, they are good.

There is vacuum being developed, so that's not the problem.

I manually engaged the transfercase by removing a pin from the actuator linkage and that locked in the front driveshaft. I tried to do the same with the axle lock, but I couldn't muster the strength or get the timing of the spline right to get it to lock.

To engage 4X4, there is a push button on the 2 speed transfercase shift lever. I'm assuming that it does both the t-case and the front axle locking. The light on the dash doesn't light, as you would expect if nothing is happening.

How might I run this electrical gremlin down?

Lots of time to reply, I gotta hit the sack to get some shut-eye before nightshift.

Thanks in advance for any help offered

2. Front actuator

The front gear box has a vacuum actuator. The electronic portion opens and closes the vacuum flow, this is how they provide the button.

We had one truck which had to be driven several feet before it would engage the front axle lock. No good if you get stuck as the fron wheels won't be turning.

After referencing our parts manual break down of the front axle, we were able to trace the vacuum lines to the manifold. The first 2" piece of hose was kinked. It was providing vaccuum but not nearly enough. We replace the hose and rearranged how it was routed to relieve the stress. Worked like a champ!

Hope this helps a little.

Ethan566 likes this.