1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4wd, when?

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by Jigs-n-fixtures, Dec 22, 2018.

1. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

I have a 94, S110, tipper (scissors lift/dump), and have a question about the 4wd switch. There is a big round button on the middle of the dash, that when I push it in, seems to lock up the rear axle, in all gears, when in high range. There is a toggle switch, to the right of the steering wheel, that when in the on position, seems to lock up both axles, when in high range, but only in first, and reverse.

If I move the selector behind the shifter into low range, both axles lock up, in all gears, putting me in what I’ve always callled 4-low lock.

So, is this the way it is supposed to operate? And, has anyone modified the switches, so you can put it into 4-lock, in all gears in high range?

2. ttc

ttc Active Member

The round switch to the left should engage the front axle and the transfer case. The toggle one to the right is the rear differential lock that only works in first and reverse. There us a switch on the transmission. I having a diagram for the system on my laptop. Can look tonight but If you bypass the switch in the transmission you should be able to get diff lock in all gears. I also think when you use the high/low/neutral selector between the seats for the transfer case that in low it activates the 4x4 system. Also the light in the diff lock switch is very dim in my truck. You don't want to have it selected on when driving. Or you will bugger up the diff lock from it engaging and disengaging when the axles are spinning.

Marcg007 likes this.
  3. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Thanks, just making sure it’s working right.

4. dale hynes

dale hynes Member

One can just run a cable system to lock the rear at any speed in any gear. Also a cable to engage just the transfer case, and one for just the front diff. If you weld the front diff only the left wheel will be driven when the transfer case is engaged, but you can lock the front diff when ever the need arises and have all four wheels locked in by your control not the trucks.