1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4 Vs 5 Speed Highway Drivability

Discussion in 'Performance' started by again_dejavu, May 4, 2016.

1. again_dejavu

again_dejavu New Member

For highway use, how do the different transmissions perform top speed wise? I realize a 5 speed would be better, but would a 4 speed be able to maintain highway speeds? Anybody able to give their top speeds?

2. Ronin

Ronin Active Member Supporting Member

Depends on a few things... mainly what is the 'highway speed' you have in mind?

Generally a relatively leisurely 50~60mph (80~100kph) here, so either will do but with only fo' on the floor your bottom is gonna be buzzing. 5 makes it much smoother/quieter.

The other main factor is engine size... 550cc is pushing it once you're there no matter what. 660's, much better at extended higher speed cruising.

Top speed...? It's in the wind, and the load, and the pitch of the road. Newer trucks... maybe 75mph tops. Older 550's... ... ... no.

again_dejavu likes this.
  3. SpikeFiend

SpikeFiend Member

I've got a S/C Sambar, with a 5 speed and 660 cc engine. I've taken it right up to the 140 km/h top end of the speedo on level ground. Note that Sambars with S/C have a taller 5th gear for high speed.

again_dejavu likes this.
  4. ttc

ttc Active Member

at 110km per hour my hijet is reving pretty good somewhere north of 7000rpm. i have a 5 speed and a tiny but taller tire than stock.