1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3G83 crankshaft and oil pump timing marks

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by Jeff Brown, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Jeff Brown

Jeff Brown New Member

Hello, I bought a 96 Mitsubishi minicab 4x4 automatic right hand drive running well but smoking, performed cylinder leak off test and blew water out of the radiator so I suspected a blown head gasket. Tore the engine down, had the head resurfaced, new valves and seals installed, I currently have the head, exhaust and intake back on and I am down to timing belt.m manual is a little vague on the marks for crank and oil pump, my book shows the marks pointing downward in the same direction to where when running they will eventually be aligned. Is this correct or can I just point them at each other and slip the belt on? Any help would surely be appreciated as I don’t want to have to do this step twice.
    Well I followed the manual and now have a new problem, set all my rocker arm lash with #1 and 3 cylinders TDC and cam marks where they were suppose to be. Slipped the belt on with crank mark where it was suppose to be and # 1 TDC and went to roll motor by hand just to see if the belt and tensioner looked tight enough and engine will not roll completely over. After multiple scenarios, and checking double checking, the #1 & 3 exhaust valves look to be hitting the pistons when they open up, any ideas??

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    TooManyProjects likes this.
  2. Hi Jeff.
    I have a 1991 Mitsi Minicab. What did the leak test show? Were you losing pressure? Generally, and blown head gasket, will have one of two results.
    1- coolant in the oil (it will turn the oil a grey color if water/coolant is present)
    2- loss of pressure during during leak test outside the water jacket. Basically, coolant leaking through the gasket to outside and running down the block onto the ground.
    As for the valves hitting the pistons, is it possible you tightened the valves down too far? OR, is there so much taken of the head from resurfacing, that you needed to double up the head gasket to allow for proper clearance?
    I am currently working on mine with a running issue. If you have any questions, I can help with what I know. Also, try using the "search" icon in the upper right corner of the home page. Just type in key words and start looking through old posts. There is lots of little tips and tricks to be found. And sometimes not. But it's definitely worth a look. There are some super cool people on here that are willing to help out.

3. Tomorrow, if I have time, I'm going to go through the parts I have replaced, and what I replaced them with, and give a list of parts and part numbers. I'm pretty sure yours will take many if not all of the same stuff.

Limestone likes this.
  4. Just posted a new thread for many of the parts I was able to aquire at a local parts house and Amazon, as well as Ebay. With part numbers and prices for most.

5. wesleygarrard

wesleygarrard New Member

There are two little raised dots on the case at the base of the crank cog and oil pump/ balance shaft cog. Might have to wipe away a little schmutz to reveal them. Then point the marks at them like the manual shows.[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  6. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

Wes,
    Please go to your Signature, in your Profile, and update your status! (tell us what you have) Thanks!
    Limestone