1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3D modeling new parts

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by Kei3DO, May 28, 2022.

1. Kei3DO

Kei3DO New Member

Well I'm posting again (hopefully a more helpful post). I saw that there wasn't much selection for minicabs for replacement tails. And if you just simply bust a lense, there didn't seem to be cheap replacements. Anyway, I 3d modeled and printed this test set last night. They fit well and once I get the depth of the lense perfect, I'll be getting them printed by a guy with a far more professional printer than mine with some high quality filament. I'll post pictures here and the link to the 3d files for anyone to download.

pixlr_20220528234022482.jpg

t_g_farrell likes this.
  2. Arty

Arty Active Member

Nice one!!

Kei3DO likes this.
  3. Don75

Don75 New Member

Do the van (Bravo) lenses too please! I’ve been searching for them everywhere. No one has replacements.

Kei3DO likes this.
  4. Kei3DO

Kei3DO New Member

If you can either
    A: get me a lense (left or right side) in my hands
    Or
    B: get me dimensions with a digital caliper ($7 USD at harbor freight)

Both options require high resolution pictures of the lenses at an over the top position without an angle distorting the shape of the lense. I can provide email for you to send the images

Also let me know what year, body, and post a picture. I'd be more than willing to help out with tail light modeling, I just lack the resources to get the exact measurements on my own or else it'd be done already. If I had a physical lense in my hands, I could get it on the money in one go. Keep in mind, I'm unsure how destructive retrieving lenses from a tail housing is. Mine were falling apart. So I used the opportunity to model up new ones. Also, please keep in mind that I don't have the resources to professionally print these with weather resistant material. You will probably have to outsource to a pro, like I am.

Also, here is my latest design. Soon I will be adding two holders. I will upload two versions. Single with the cubby, and double without the cubby. The cubby fits a pair of thin folding sunglasses, pins, screwdrivers, knife, wrench, etc... the cupholder portion was designed around a large chick-fi-la cup and fits most bottled or canned beverages. The double design will have a slightly larger holder on the front for the larger bottles out there (looking at you, Brisk tea). pixlr_20220601084222360.jpg

5. Kei3DO

Kei3DO New Member

Well, there's a 24 hour cool down for new accounts on thingiverse, but my username is the same there as here: Kei3DO. I've got the cupholder w/cubby version ready to be published by tomorrow morning when the cool down is over. Screenshot_20220602-085423.png you can just search "u42t" and it should bring up anything I upload from now on for the minicab.

6. Don75

Don75 New Member

Kevin I will absolutely try to measure one. I drive my Bravo pretty much daily so unable to send a lens. If you develop a solution it’ll be amazing. I had to epoxy mine to cobble them into usable shape. It’s pretty much the only flaw with my van.

7. Kei3DO

Kei3DO New Member

I will record a private YouTube link for you and show you the spots to measure. Here is my email: blaringshadow@gmail.com or my Instagram: Panasonic3do so we can share pictures of the lenses and 3d replication process

8. Kei3DO

Kei3DO New Member

here's a video on the measurements I need

9. Don75

Don75 New Member

So when I bought my van my lenses were cracked so I put some silicone over them to try and keep them from leaking but I never took the assemblies out. Unfortunately I’ve just discovered when I took my whole assemblies out that it seems the previous owner has glued the plastic lenses to both bulb shells in order to keep them from leaking I guess. I can’t risk trying to pry them apart at this point because I don’t have a back up plan. I suppose it won’t help to measure them from the outside only?

10. Kei3DO

Kei3DO New Member

Email me or message me on Instagram. I will do the best I can to see what it takes. I put my email and insta user above in an earlier reply