1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3 trucks in Texas

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by Spookydad, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Spookydad

Spookydad New Member

I drove by a farm with these 3 Hi-jets for sale. The owner said they 'had been running, but had been sitting for 6 or 7 months.' He can't provide titles. I'm mechanically inclined but have never had any experience with these types of trucks. One of the driver's side windows is smashed and all the seats need to be recovered. The owner claimed they are 4x4 but the fronts don't indicate it.
    In my minutes of internet research, I think I can say they are 7th generation after the dashboard redesign. This puts them at early '90s vintage. Are these a worthwhile projects or just a nightmare in the making? IMG_20200223_113759~2.jpg hijet2.jpg

2. Mini_hijet

Mini_hijet Member

What does he want for them? These are s83p models, according to me looking at the pictures, then looking at mine in my garage. This means they are somewhere between 90' and 93'. Mine still runs great tho, so nothing bad, but just so you know they are around thirty years old. If you are not interested I may be. Depending on what the look like, and how much, they can be gold, or trash.
    Thank you

Yousef

3. Spookydad

Spookydad New Member

This is a picture of the fronts.
    The owner is asking $1k each or $2500 for all 3. He seems motivated so I could probably get all 3 for $2k hijet3.jpg

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  4. Mini_hijet

Mini_hijet Member

I would hop on it, quickly, before someone else steals them from you. As long as the frame is not rusted, and they don't seem to have any broken parts, it's a go. I would try to jump them, and see what you get.

5. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Appear to be 83P, should have the 660-cc engines. Parts are available for most of the things that are critical, but can be expensive. But most of the things like plugs and wires can be made up or substituted to keep costs down.

They can be a bit of a mind bender sometimes, because they did things ou don’t typically find on vehicles made for the US. But a lot of the emissions/vacuum system stuff is very reminiscent of my old 77-Toyota Hilux.

Limestone likes this.
  6. Mini_hijet

Mini_hijet Member

This is very true. The vacuum system is complicated, and can be frustrating. My truck still won't idle, but I still have not messed with the vacuum lines because there are too many.

You have to expect to pay about $500 in parts for each truck. Just in case you end up buying something expensive, yo are prepared. There are several companies that sell parts, some sell parts used for a slight discount. It all just depends on what is wrong.

7. Spookydad

Spookydad New Member

I am assuming that these trucks didn't have A/C. Thats a big concern in Texas.

I just sold my 1944 GMC CCKW truck, so I am familiar with older vehicles.

How big a deal is the lack of title in Texas. I had a major problem with my 1944 truck as it was pre VIN and is supposed to be identified by the number on the engine block. However local officials wouldn't approve it, even though their own website said that was the correct procedure.

Does the vertical guard behind the cab indicate that it is the dump version?

8. Mini_hijet

Mini_hijet Member

My truck does not have AC. To my knowledge, it was not an option.

Knowledge wise, it sounds like you're good. If you ever have any questions, we are all here to help you.

It all depends on what you are doing with it, depending where you live, it may be legal to drive on the public roads, buy you would need titles. If it is for the farm, I would not worry about them.

I may be interested in the trucks if you are not, so let me know what happens.

Thank you!