1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2wd low range

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by seriousdiesel, Aug 23, 2009.

1. seriousdiesel

seriousdiesel New Member

Anyone tried to get the 4wd system tricked so the truck will have 2wd low range? i would think it could be done with just a switch or a vac switch. I dont have any specific reason to have it but it could be handy.

2. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

hmm only way i can think of it is with an older truck with manual hubs.

used to do that on my old 80 chevy. nothing special just didnt go out and lock the hubs so that i could have the truck crawl along by itself.

3. Ravk

Ravk Member

2WD Low

On the transfer case on the 80 Chev 4X4 I did a twin stick conversion. This seperates the HI-LOW from the 2WD-4WD.
    I don't know if all the minitrucks have this feature or if it is possable due to the internal linkage.

Robert

4. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Shouldn't be a big deal. You would have to disable the "Axle lock" on the front axle. Not all mini's have this but as far as I know the Suzuki's and Daihatsu's have them.

5. Poatalrat

Poatalrat New Member

I know it has been 11 years but people are still finding these posts because like me they just got a mini truck. On my Mitsubishi 1994 minicab you need to put a switch in the wiring on the vaccum solenoid in front of the radiator. There are 2 solenoids that control the front axle. The closest one to the radiator is the one that puts it into 4wd. Disconnect it somehow and the truck will be able to have 2wd low. That way you still have a nice turning radius and no jerking around. Turn the switch to disable that solenoid and then push 4wd and pull shifter to low. No 4wd light will come on because it is just 2we at that point then if you need 4wd flip the switch and the vacuum solenoid will kick in and 4wd light comes on and 4wd works. You will have to use the factory lever and button to go back to 2wd and high like normal then you can disable the 4wd again of you want.

6. Poatalrat

Poatalrat New Member

I use 2wd to ease around the pasture checking cows and to let the kids drive 8 and 5 years old. They love a vehicle they can reach everything.

7. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

On my Hijet s110, there is a switch in the hi/low range shifter mechanism, which turns on and off the vacuum switches for the axle locks. Adding an on off switch in line with it would enable you to not lock the axles, but still engage low range. Might look at it this weekend. I have a few extra switches and relays floating around.

Limestone likes this.