1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

25" Grim Reapers (3"+ Lift)

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by Truck-Ken, Jan 17, 2010.

1. scallywagon

scallywagon New Member

looks good man!! i just finished my front lift tonight and i put the itp108's on with 25x8x12 mudlites gotta do the back tomorrow . i love those grim reaper tires almost had a set myself !

2. kepow

kepow Member

try your street tires yet?
    tIA

3. Truck-Ken

Truck-Ken Member

Not yet......been having too much fun with my Reapers. :D

4. R.E101

R.E101 Member

Truck ken how whats does the bend measure on the rods? Also did you lower the bracket? NICE TRUCK!

5. Truck-Ken

Truck-Ken Member

The overall drop is 1-3/4". We determined after doing the lift that we needed an extra 7/8" in length to center the wheels. Suprisingly, we only lost 3/8" when the z-bend was completed. We cut and welded in a 1-1/4" spacer on the flat part of the rod to get our 7/8" over stock length and it worked out perfectly. We also factored in a little bit of twist to match the angle of the control arms. We didn't lower the brackets at all. One of my goals (although I'll probably never do it) was to be able to take everything back to stock if I wanted to. Everything that I've done is removable and with the exception of the radius rods themselves, nothing would need to be replaced.

6. kepow

kepow Member

any street tire updates?

7. zardoz

zardoz Member

Truck Ken, nice ride you have there! You have done some really nice work, be proud :)

z

8. JayLeto

JayLeto New Member

I have a 98 Suzuki, and plan on doing something similar to yours Ken. Couple quick questions for you.

Where did you buy your lift?

Where did you find the wheels, and what back spacing are they?

Does the truck still have enough power to run 35mph or so with these 25" tires? We have some really long county roads we have to travel at my hunting camp, so I want to keep a decent top speed.

9. POC1098

POC1098 New Member

Lift kit ?

Truck - Ken, i have a 95' suzuki and wanted to do the same thing you did to your mini. NICE JOB!. I have the 25" grim reapers also and wanted to know where you got the lift kit from? What length (inch) AFCO spring did you use to add just the inch in high in addition to the 3" lift in thefront? you indicated you used the add a leaf with shackle extensions. did you put the shackle extensions on in additon to the leaf, is there a certain length shackle I am looking for?? I am ready to add a lift my truck and can do the modifications you did to elimate the CV problem. Please let me know and thank you for the pictures,this really helps me in adding my lift kit.

10. Truck-Ken

Truck-Ken Member

I used the 3" lift kit from xroads. I managed to get an extra inch by using the heavier springs (this may have been because the stock springs had "relaxed" a bit). They are the same length as the original...just heavier. I didn't decide to lengthen the the shackles until I had everything else done. The rear was an inch low after I got the rest of the lift done so I made new shackles that were 2" longer to give me the inch that I needed. You may need a different amount of lift in the back or none at all. Whatever the amount is that you need, just multiply by two and add that to the stock shackle length.

11. kepow

kepow Member

Hi Ken.......any on road testing yet?

12. POC1098

POC1098 New Member

Ken, thank you for the reply. I am new and this forum is great and a wealth of useful information fro owners of KEI's. I will try xroads again, i have tried to get th enew Stage II kit they are manufacturing, but no luck yet. With hunting season around the corner i decideed to go ahead to do the modifications like you did on the truck. Has anyone heard from xroads? i tried calling and emailing - no one answers (vm full). Are they in business?Thanks to all.

13. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

I believe Xroads merged with Americas Mini Truck Center out of S.Dakota. (not to be confused with All American Mini Trucks)

14. Truck-Ken

Truck-Ken Member

I actually did try throwing on the old pizza cutters and it performed suprisingly well......although I would not use this set-up for the road without replacing/modifying the struts. It would be too dangerous at higher speeds without the proper dampening. Has anybody replaced or modified their struts???

15. Truck-Ken

Truck-Ken Member

I don't know if they're still in business or not. They still have an active web site but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. They treated me very well and I actually ended up getting my rims and grim reapers through them for a lot less than anywhere else.

16. kepow

kepow Member

how fast with the reapers?

17. Truck-Ken

Truck-Ken Member

Kepow,
    I had tested the speed a while back but I couldn't remember what I got to.....so I just got back from testing it out again. The road in front of my house is about 3/4 of a mile straight away, so I've got a decent testing area. With the tire pressure at 5 psi I can get it to about 44-45 mph before I have to brake for the stop sign. I don't have a tach, so I'm not sure how far to push it. I really don't gain anymore speed after shifting from third to fourth. I haven't played around with the tire pressure yet, but once I get some time, I will give it a go. At 5 psi I know that I'm getting A LOT of drag.

18. kepow

kepow Member

Wow thats faster than i thought dont worry about your rpms you will never max out with those big boots

19. Truck-Ken

Truck-Ken Member

It gets to 37-38 pretty quick and then it's a slow climb to 44-45.

20. masspilot2004

masspilot2004 Member

Ken I sent you a message would like to talk to you about how to go about the same mods on my truck