1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2017 Hijet, need help with A/C belt

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by Bob Morris, Oct 18, 2022.

1. Bob Morris

Bob Morris New Member

My air conditioner belt got knocked off and I cannot find any adjustment to get it back on. I know it should be a very simple procedure, but evidently I am missing something.

The belt looks like it should go from the crankshaft pulley, directly to the a/c compressor. Like I said, I don’t see any adjustment and the belt that came off looks way too short, which I know is impossible.

Hoping someone can help me out with a picture of their belt routing and maybe a tip on how to get it back on.

2. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

Newer setup. Does not have adjustment. Special tool to take off and install belt. My new Spresso has the same setup as do most newer models from Suzuki and other manufacturers.

Fred

3. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

Search "stretchable drive belt" to see this newer technology. The special tool/s needed is somewhat like a derailer & rerailer setup. I have not done this but looks like it may be a pain where the sun dont shine to get a new belt on.

Fred

4. Bob Morris

Bob Morris New Member

Well that answers my question. I will do a search and see if I can find a tool.

Hopefully I’ll be able to get it back on with all of my fingers intact.

Thanks for the info!

fmartin_gila likes this.
  5. OKei

OKei New Member

Sounds like putting on bicycle tube and tires on a tight rim, might be able to use bicycle tyre tools if OEM tools are too pricey

6. Bob Morris

Bob Morris New Member

I ordered one for about $18. Looks simple enough. I had never heard of stretch belts.

I had thought about a screwdriver wedged in between the pulley and belt and then bumping the starter. But as tight as the belt fit is, I could see something going very wrong with that operation, lol.

Anyhow, waiting on the tool now. I’ll update the thread after I try it out.