1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2016 Hijet Jumbo

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by John Howard, Oct 6, 2016.

1. John Howard

John Howard New Member

I bought a Mitsu Mini Cab in 2003. It was a 2002 model and had 5000km on the clock. I used and abused the little fella for the past 13 years or so. I putter with boats and spend a lot of time at the marina here on Okinawa. The Mitsu started to develop rust about 5 years ago due to the constant exposure to salt and salt air. I didn't keep up with it, so the cancer spread to the frame as well as the body. The Mitsu was a 5 speed 4 wheel drive with AC and an aftermarket CD player. It never had a major parts failure, I had to replace 2 of the coil packs, had an issue with the headlight wiring and had two factory recalls, one for the transmission and one for the gas tank. When it started raining inside the cab almost at the same rate as outside, I faced the choice of refurb or replace. I chose to replace. The Mitsu went to the scrap yard and I went to visit the Daihatsu dealer. While driving the Mitsu, I often wished for a bit more comfort..... So I ordered a 2016 Hijet Jumbo with a laundry list of options. Manual transmissions are great, but when you have a stop light on every corner of every wantabe street, you get tired of rowing your way to your destination. I went with a 4 speed auto plus 4 wheel drive with hi/lo range. I ordered the truck in mist blue with matching trim for the bed protector and sideboards and cab protector. Daihatsu now offers a choice of 10 or so colors for their K trucks. The truck comes with power windows, locks, steering, brakes etc. Oh, and for a bit of geewhiz info, the mini truck manufacturers are getting insestious. Toyota now sells a K truck. The Toyota Pixis, Daihatsu Hijet, and Subaru Sambar are now the same vehicle. Nissan is selling a rebadged Mini Cab and Mazda is selling their version of the Carry. The truck is due to arrive at the dealer in 2 or 3 weeks. I'll keep you updated on the truck's progress and my wallet shrinking.

2. John Howard

John Howard New Member

Well the new truck arrived on schedule. I have been busy pimping it up a bit. It has just about every option Daihatsu offered as well as some aftermarket stuff. The tires are 155/80/13 on stock wheels with wire wheel covers. The truck is an automatic with 4 wheel drive.

Attached Files:

3. Koffer

Koffer Active Member

That's a sweet ride John
    I love my 91 highjet and with 41k km on the little dude it's just getting broke in . I had to wait 10 years to get it titled here in the US but this year I've been buzzing around all over . Other then needing to clean /rebuild the carb ( let it sit in the garage for a couple of years ) then replace the junk aftermarket excelrator pump that rotted out in 2 months and started leaking gas all over plus the aftermarket fuel pump ( figured while I was in there , big mistake) which the poor manufacturing pivot rod on the rocker arm would jam when warm on restart so not run sometimes. Both got replaced with OEM and been perfect since .
    the strut replacement and upgraded front springs it's been reliable
    I just picked up a 91 Suzuki Carry with only 7k Kms on it , still waiting for the state to stop dicking around for the last month and a half and maybe look at what extra paperwork they will feel I need ( no way I got it right the 1st time)
    Wish we were allowed to get brand new ones here in the states road legal . But in 25 years I'll have a nice 2016 one ;)

4. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Very nice to see a new truck!

5. ttc

ttc Active Member

You sure is doesn't have 107,000 on it as the older trucks only have a 5 digit odometer.

6. Koffer

Koffer Active Member

Nothing worn like the pedal pads ,shifter ,3 piece floor mats . none of the plastic is faded, or chalky no dents or rust , seats perfect , no paint respray and the original 5 tires
    If it's got 107k Kms they were on pillows in a climate controlled clean room plus it would have to have 1millon Kms image.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016