1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2004 Hijet stopped running.

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by jagman, May 20, 2012.

1. jagman

jagman New Member

My 2004 Hijet S210p has stopped running. The problem began with the truck being hard to start. Then within a week or so it would not start at all. I found the fuel pump was quite weak so I replaced it with a new pump motor.

I put the fuel i removed from the tank back in. The truck still wouldn't run. It would pop a few times and occasionally fire off for 4 or 5 seconds. I then replaced the spark plugs, which appeared wet with fuel. Still the truck wouldn't run. So I siphoned out the old gas and put fresh gas in. I flushed the fuel line by letting it pump out the old gas. Still no joy.

I pulled the intake off at the throttle valve and gave it a shot of starter fluid. It fired right off and ran till it was out of starter fluid.

I'm at a loss as to what to check next. It's obviously a fuel problem. Injector issues?

Would appreciate any help.

Regards,

Don

2. woodhe1

woodhe1 Member

1) spark in all 3 coil packs?

2) compression check

3) pull the injectors and see if their pumping fuel

4) Map Sensor on the throttle body?

dan www.woodysminitrucks.com

3. jagman

jagman New Member

Thanks woodhe1, I'll start looking into those areas.

Regards,

Don

4. I had something like this happen last year, I removed the throttle body off the top of the engine, cleaned it all up with brake parts cleaner, removed the TPS sensor and cleaned it with contact cleaner, put it all back together and it ran great.

5. tbird57

tbird57 New Member

check your fuel pressure, it should be 40 psi or more. i found my fuel pressure regulator was bad. it is in the housing with your fuel pump.

6. jagman

jagman New Member

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Do to the heat here in Texas I haven't been able to work on the truck. Wow, 40 psi, I didn't think it was supposed to be that high! I'll check that out, hopefully next week.

Regards,

Don

7. jagman

jagman New Member

I finally fixed my 2004 Hijet. The problem was low fuel pressure. I replaced the pump itself and still only got 8psi or so. Changed the fuel regulator and still no joy. Replaced an "O" ring and another rubber seal inside the fuel assembly. No luck. Testing the assembly out of the car, it appeared fuel was leaking somewhere but I could never see where. I ended up buying the whole fuel assembly module on Ebay from a Japanese used parts outfit. Put it in and all is well! Runs great.

I know this took a long time for me to resolve, but health problems have been cramping my style along with the winter weather. As for the fuel pump replacement, they are on Ebay for under $20 delivered! The fuel regulator in my truck was unmarked, so I just tried one from Napa that cost $26 vs. up to $130 for others. No one could spec that fuel pressure regulator. Tried local Toyota parts dept. and they said they know nothing, no help at all.

The fuel assembly is a complex unit. The pump motor is the easy part! A good friend installed a lift in his workshop and that made this job a snap in the end.

Thanks again for all the suggestions, this is a great forum.

Acerguy likes this.
  8. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for following up on your issue. So glad to hear you got it resolved!

9. Acerguy

I'll pipe in here as I just had similar problems with my truck. It had been stumbling and losing power for quite a while before getting to a state where it would crank and crank with no start. Seeing as it is 17 years old and I've owned it for at least 7, I figure it wouldn't hurt to clean the entire fuel system. I pulled the bed off the truck (which I should really make a whole separate post for) and pulled the fuel pump. The "sock" filter had grit and was brittle and falling apart. The pump worked but was obviously not getting enough pressure to the system. As I posted in another thread, I got a bosch fuel pump (https://www.ebay.com/itm/180992468907) from ebay as it seemed like a relatively inexpensive way to refresh things. Pulled and cleaned the injectors, the pressure regulator (which looked pretty silted up too) and replaced the pump and filter. Also put in new plugs while I was at it. Truck runs like new! Frankly, I'm willing to bet that my pump was probably fine and it was really the pressure regulator and the injectors clogged up with debris from the crumbling filter. Anyway, should be good for at least another 7 years.

10. Cyn Shue

Cyn Shue New Member

Acerguy - reference your Nov 2, 2018 post - my 2001 HiJet S210P, with EF-SE motor, has similar issues with delayed starting cycle, poor idling and declining acceleration. Replaced the spark plugs and put fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank. Limited results. Idles better, but feels like it may be missing a cylinder. Used to pull off in 2nd easily, now it is sluggish. Can accelerate quickly to 50 kph once in 3rd, shifting to 4th it slowly increases to a max of 70 kph. No acceleration when shifting to 5th. Possible issues: 1) air cleaner - Trying to remove air cleaner cover - the nut is fused to the center screw. Soaked it in penetration oil x 1 wk - no results. suggestions? 2) in tank fuel filter - hasn't been changed since we purchased used in 2013. Although pricy at $98 + shipping from Yokohama, how does one access it to change it? The only reference I can locate is the Daihatsu HiJet Truck and Vans, English Service Manual, by James Danko for 1989-1998 models. Last mini pick up I worked on was a Ford Courier.

11. ttc

ttc Active Member

You can get the filter cheaper elsewhere

12. Cyn Shue

Cyn Shue New Member

Update: Gave up on trying to "do it myself" and limped in to a local auto repair shop. Air filter fixed. The shop called a US supplier that in turn called Japan. The fuel filter needs to be changed. However, the fuel pump and filter are all one piece-it's integrated in the gas tank and not serviceable. The complete unit will cost $850 + freight. Apparently the combo (fuel pump & filter) is an emissions thing US Manufacturers also started doing in mid 90s. I guess since the truck has >100k kilometers on it, the cost makes the repair a reasonable one.

13. ttc

ttc Active Member

You can get generic pumps also did you look up if you can get just the pump. That is spendy

14. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

The hard part of working on the fuel pump is getting to the top of the tank. I have a scissors dump bed on mine, so the tank is readily accessible. I would recommend removing the bed if you have a helper. Not really that heavy, but really cumbersome to try by yourself.

There are a ton of suitable pump and filter units on eBay. And you could also just take out the in tank pump and filter assembly, and install and external pump, with a see through filter on the suction side to protect the pump, located in a clip on the frame rail so it is fairly easy to get to so you can check and replace it if needed.

I did this to a 77 Toyota Hilux, in about 1980, when they started adding 10% ethanol to the gas, and it ate the rubber on the in-tank pump, sock filter, and hoses.

Did it recently to my Hijet.

15. Jim bouzane

Jim bouzane New Member

Hey

16. Jim bouzane

Jim bouzane New Member

Hey can you tell me where to order a fuel pressure regulator for my Daihatsu s210p...thanks...not sure if it can be bought seperate ...dosent matter I'll but the whole unit if I have to

17. Jim bouzane

Jim bouzane New Member

Hey can you tell my where to buy a fuel pressure regulator for my Daihatsu s210p...if I have to buy the whole unit I will...thank u

18. Acerguy

Sorry for the delayed response. There really is nothing all that special about the fuel pump. The generic Bosch one I linked to worked perfectly. My usual advice on a lot of parts for the Daihatsu is to find parts for a similar year entry level Toyota. I've had ti work for several things. And definitely taking off the bed to work on the fuel system is the key. There are about 2 dozen bolts to undo (10mm socket IIRC) and the only "trick" is that the rear brake cables have to be undone as the bracket is attached to the bed and there are a couple of places along the rear where the bed is used to hold some of the wiring harness.

Jim Bouzane, I would hit up G&R for the fuel pressure regulator.

19. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

20. ttc

ttc Active Member

One could put the build number in on partsfan.com and get the parts fiche specific to the truck. I order from Impex and they if the on is a Toyota part also show it and any aftermarket parts that match.