1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2003 Suzuki w/ bad engine... Any advice?

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by DYNOBOB, Feb 8, 2011.

1. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

2. XtremeMini

XtremeMini Member

I dont believe its the "BAD BATCH" theory as the trucks I have seen this way were an 05 and an 08 and since yours is an 03 it simply cant be the batch, now they could be made softer than were used to but I doubt this as well......Just not sure what the problem really is....From what I have seen though it seems limited to only the Suzuki/Mazda trucks and to go one farther I havent seen it personally on anything but the K6A engines.

3. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB Member

Forgot to update this story...

Installed six new intake valves and timing chain/tensioner and the truck started right up and ran like a top. Took it back to the customer two months ago and has been fine since.

4. goldstar

goldstar Member

Glad to hear you got it up and running properly again DYNOBOB. There's only one way to repair an engine if you want it to be strong, reliable and have longevity and that's to do it the way you did. Replacing the timing chain/tensioner assy will insure correct valve and ignition timing. Now if the customer does regular oil/filter and air filter maintenance he should see years of trouble free service.

5. james23

james23 New Member

When you're troubleshooting a small engine problem, you need to rule out the various parts or systems as possible sources of the problem. It's important to work systematically to isolate the cause rather than skipping parts or systems that you believe are in good working order.

6. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Well, thought I'd add here.
    You can eliminate the dirt/contamination concept.

Been hang'in @arcticcatchat for awhile checking out the T660 background information. Well guess what, same problems, same fix.
    Basically it's the K6a, and Arctic Cat has a service bulletin out for the T660/ turbo'd or N/A "check valve clearance every 5,000km".
    Guys are replacing the caps left and right, seems to be hit and miss with the problem. Some guys never have a problem, others are cooking valves befor they get to the next service interval.
    Something's still fishy here, supplier out of China?

7. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB Member

I think my new valves came from Japan.

Good info there spaner, didn't know Arctic Cat used the K6A.

8. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

9. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Hey man, yea, I got some info posted up in the performance section there. Used some of your photos for comparison as well as a lot of information on the burn profile for the head.
    Suzuki changed the profile from the F6a and I think that this is where the problem actually is, cooking the valves due do the uneven burn profile.
    They tried to up the eff by mess with the quench...and got a lemon...

That's what I'm finding out anyway. The T660 is based on the K6a, so far, I can't find any actual differences though :)

10. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Don't know why I latched on to this. Just interesting I guess...:eek:

I decided to investigate the burn profile by searching for motors that have been torn into for "burning oil". Now you can see...:cool:

F6A
    95-Carry-Head-s.jpg
    T660
    T660-head-s.jpg
    K6A (your's just for comparison/no oil)
    4-23-12036a-114.jpg

Huge difference in the burn profile. Prime candidate for the "Somender Singh Grouve"...:pop:

11. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB Member

That is interesting

I guess I'm glad I have a Hijet...

12. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Ha, Ha...It'll be back next year...

13. milmor88

milmor88 Member

Hey I know its been quite a while. I bought a 06 that is having your same issues on one cylinder and I have debated using the thinner shims, etc but in the end it's likely that I will need to pull the motor and do it the way you ended up doing. Do you know if that mini you fixed up is still doing good?