1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2003 mitsubishi body lift

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by ngcmitsi, Nov 16, 2008.

1. ngcmitsi

ngcmitsi New Member

I just purchased a 2003 mitsubishi and the dealer is setting it up for bigger tires, the lift looks like 3 inch square tubing with u clamps, and is going to have to extend the steering stem or somthing. This would be just a body lift right? The cv joints and suspention will be fine with no problems right? I dont want any problems and nervouse about lifting it.:confused:very!

2. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

I would be nervous, most of the 3" lifts end up getting removed 'cause of problems.

I would do lots of reading here, use the "search" function to find all the threads on "lifts"

Most suspension lifts are ok up to the 2" mark after that they cause more grief than they are worth.

A combo of a suspension lift 1 1/2" + body lift might be a better approach.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with the Mitsi

3. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

on the late model trucks like that, i think they have the tires up front rather than under the drivers seat? if that's the case, then you are on the right track with blocked up body lift.

4. ngcmitsi

ngcmitsi New Member

yes, the wheels are in front, I hope its just a simple body lift, and doesnt bind anything. Its too nice of a truck to tear up It has to be lifted somwhat for the tires to fit ''23 inch all trails''. Just want it to be reliable.

5. MAXOUT

MAXOUT Member

I'm sure there is big differences in the two years but I have a 1988 Mitsu with 23X8.50-12 and have no lift and no rubbing. Put the tires on without the lift and carefully check for rubbing. I see alot of people complaining about lifts and they do not seem to be worth the hassle, besides all you will gain by lifting the body is tire clearance and a more top heavy truck. The ground clearance will be only as large as your tire upgrade. If you go with a suspension lift then it needs to be done right and toe and camber will need to be adjusted along with a front end allignment. Thats if you can even adjust it far enough to aompensate. Unless you make major mods these trucks are what they are. If you want reliabillity then put the biggest tire you can fit in there without lifting. Just my opinion. Keep it simple and enjoy....;)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  6. xroadsimport

xroadsimport Member

It will depend on the lift. We do 4" lifts to a 2003 Mitsubishi here in our shop. It is a little more complicated than a Suzuki 4" lift so I would be a little carefull. It can be done though.

7. ngcmitsi

ngcmitsi New Member

I talked to him and he's not dropping the diff if that helps explain it?

8. nelrod

nelrod New Member

I put 23 inch all trail carlisle's on my 2003 Mitsubishi (just got it) and the rears fit fine. I did not want to do a lift. I had to put a spacer behind fronts to clear the coil spring, and also, later today, I am going to do a "factory modification" of the lower valence panel on very front of truck, since they scrub. I will cut it off in a rounded pattern smooth it out and may put some of the rubber trim that slips on cutouts that are on horse trailers. After reading a lot on here, I don't want to do a lift. If I were going to lift it I think I would get the lift kit from Cory, or if I lived closer, just have him do it.

9. Dan

Dan Member

I agree with MAXOUT

"Unless you make major mods these trucks are what they are."

I think there's only one lift that i've seen that really made any significant difference.

...major mods on mau118's truck

[​IMG]

10. o8k

o8k Member

From all the reading I have done, there is nothing unique about these vehicles from any other vehicle out there with respect to lifting them. That being said, my perception of these truths (described below) has held true for me for every “what’s the best lift…” thread out there I’ve ever read (Mini trucks, Jeeps, Toyotas, etc):

GENERAL:
    1. I will recommend in every one of these type threads to study study study before proceeding with any lift kit. I say, do not even buy a lifted vehicle until your understand the lift that is on it. (Buying something you don’t understand is not beneficial to the buyer or the seller).
    2. There are a significant number of lift kits out there that will work as advertised
    3. There are a significant number of lift kits out there that DO NOT.
    4. Many kits that are sold, are sold incomplete, and therefore appear to “not work”. But do if you know what you are doing (e.g. buy all the right parts) they work fine.
    5. ALL IFS Suspension lifts top out at about 2 - 2.5" b4 they start causing problems or costing a fortune or both. (Additional risk exists when front wheels have axles)
    6. There are just as many people out there that will install the incomplete and improper lift kits as there are people who will refuse to do it wrong.

MINI TRUCK SPECIFIC:
    7. From what I have read thus far on this mini truck forum, all the dealers of these mini trucks seem to stand behind their work without question.
    8. Aside from the generic info above, mini trucks (as most vehicles) have specific parts that are unique (dugh). Here is what I have found so far. I hesitate to compile this info into a “what I think you should do” because to each his own! But I will say there was plenty of data found below for me to formulate my own opinions about what lift would work best for me.

Lift options and suspension info;
    .....Suspension configurations;
    ..........Honda; 4wheel independent
    ..........All others; IFS (independent front suspension) and Solid axle rear
    ..........IFS's only have a lower control arm (UCA function deferred to the Strut/spring assy)
    ..........This thread seems to indicate someone has a custom front suspension (2wd) with UCA (upper control arm) Still no up close pics.
    .....Lifts;
    ..........Good thread here
    ..........Another Good thread here
    ..........3" suspension available (seems to cause problems)
    ..........2" suspension available (seems to be the limit if you have front axles/4wd)
    ..........Body lifts available.
    ..........Aftermarket stronger springs available (great thread guys)(special thanks to greg0187)
    ..........Thread pics and results
    ..........Supplier1 (not used) web site
    ..........Supplier2 was used P/N 23275 or 23250
    ..........Suppliers of (strap style) suspension extension limiters (thanks Timetripper):
    ...............http://www.oregonmotorsports2000.com...aps/Categories
    ...............http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...p-1-c-747.html
    ...............http://www.genright.com/ProductInfo....ductid=SLSQXXX
    ...............http://www.mooreparts.com/store/cate...--Latest-Rage/
    ...............http://www.mooreparts.com/store/cate...Straps--Beard/

This info came from this thread:
    http://www.minitrucktalk.com/showthread.php?t=4763

11. visket

visket New Member

Greetings -

I'm hoping NELROD is still active on this board.

What wheels did you use for those 23 inch tires? Stock / aftermarket? If aftermarket, what backspacing/offset?

Thanks -