1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2001 TT2 exhaust assembly

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Rick Melloh, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Rick Melloh

Rick Melloh Member

Looking for a complete exhaust assembly, with all supporting parts required for successful installation.

How come no one has ever brought up this subject before?

I'm getting nowhere fast!

Rick Melloh

2. Jav

Jav New Member

3. Rick Melloh

Rick Melloh Member

2001 TT2 exhaust system found

The 2001 TT2 exhaust system is a strange one. Local muffler shops would not build one for me.

I found that I could order through Japanoid.com, of Vancouver, BC. It was the only supplier I could find that was responsive regarding muffler/exhaust parts. The answers and info came quickly via email back-and-forth. The time difference (NH/BC) made it so I could do this after work....nice. We closed the deal on the phone with an exchange of numbers and 50% down. There was a prompt emailing of the record of our transaction.

OEM Subaru system: $1500+ (there be gold in those OEM Subaru parts). I was advised that the cost was insane.

I was recommended to HST Muffler of Japan: $895. Either system takes 6 to 8 weeks via container to Vancouver, FOB Vancouver.

I ordered the HST after market system, which comes in SS. It includes everything, Cat too. The Cat is an integral part of the new system. Judging by the look of my Cat, that's not a bad thing. I also ordered a fresh exhaust temp sensor, as I doubt the old one will come out in one piece, an $87.50 OEM part. Ouch, Subaru gold plating again.

The 10 year old TT2 is nearing 100K km, so I also ordered a new set of flat belts, a timing belt kit with seals and a new OEM water pump. I probably will regret not ordering new hoses, but I'll wait until 150K km and keep my fingers crossed.

Meanwhile, the old Subie is sounding sportier and sportier. Will the old system last another 6 to 8 weeks? We'll see.

This is all a significant investment in what has been a great truck. Still no oil leaks or oil burning. I use synthetic 10W30 oil. Newer KS4s must have suitable valve seals, as this has not caused any leakage problems for me. The clutch is still strong. The air conditioning still works. The ABS brake system still functions as needed. Engine temp is always optimal. The lucky 500 yuan piece I found under the floor mat is still there.

Lots of Kei owners are curious about wheel and tire sizes and how they work for them. FYI, here in New Hampshire, I run 175/70R13 Hancook Winter i Pike directional mud and snows all year round. They are quiet and smooth on the freeway, excellent in mud and snow. I take this truck out in every blizzard, for fun.The speedometer reads pretty close to normal with this tire size. I use an mph to kph cheat sheet taped to the driver's A pillar so as to avoid speeding tickets. The light weight of this truck is very kind to these winter tires, for summer use. I get no cupping or extreme side tread wear. I run them near max inflation for the extra mpg/mpkm. The set of Hancooks I have are nearing summer-use-only condition. I intend to get the same tire again, if it is still available. I will get them mounted on some light weight mags and use the new in winter, running off the old in summer. My goal is to get my unsprung weight down as much as possible when purchasing my mags. Any current recommendations, offerings?

Rick Melloh