1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2001 suzuki will not idle and lost top end power

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by Firemanscottc, Jan 21, 2009.

1. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

I don't know how to check the timing. A member here "WillyBoy" may know. His jumped time with I believe about the same mileage as yours. There are probably some timing marks on the cam gear at TDC. My guess is that the IAC isn't effective enough if the timing is off, same way the idle screw would need to be turned several more rotations to get the idle to increase a few hundred RPM than it would if the timing was correct. Just a guess. I can't say for certain that this is your problem but I wouldn't rule it out.

-Greg

2. Firemanscottc

Firemanscottc New Member

i checked the spark plug gap and set at .08-.09. checked fuel pressure and static was 39psi and when it was running it was 39psi. it would drop 1-3 psi when i would start it up, but would go right back to 39psi. the gauge would show it pressure up to the same psi each time. if the timing was off would it start right up?

3. greg0187

If it was only off by 1 tooth on the cam gear I would say "probably" with the idle set high like you have it. Have you done a compression check? Have you noticed any excessive heat on the exhaust manifold, does it glow red when you run it for a while? The IAC valve wont effect the power loss you are experiencing. How did the spark plugs look? black, white, normal.

-Greg

4. Firemanscottc

Firemanscottc New Member

i have not noticed excessive heat on exhaust. the plugs were black. when i say it is idled up, it is not idled up much just enough to idle not high RPMs. it sounds like it did before i started having problems. after we cleaned the injection system, i went home and put a stick on the gas pedal to run at higher RPMs to make sure all of the cleaner was out of the system. when i checked on it about 15 min. later it was reving up and down. i took the stick off and it went back to idle. later that night i left it running for about 20 min. and when i drove to my camp and pushed in the clutch it went dead and then it would not idle after that. i did notice some power loss before all this happened. what should happen if i unplug the AIC? when my A/C is turned on it will almost go dead and idle rough. it should idle back up some and run smooth, right?

5. greg0187

Should idle up when A/C is on. When you disconnect the IAC I would expect a stall. Black plug definitely explains the fuel smell. Maybe the IAC is just bad.:confused: Maybe call and see if its not too expensive to replace.

-Greg

6. Firemanscottc

Firemanscottc New Member

where is the best place to buy parts with the best price? if the catalytic converter is stoped up could this be a ploblem with power loss?

7. greg0187

You'll have to shop the sponsors to get the best price. IMO if you want to replace the catalytic then I would take it to an exhaust shop and have it removed or replaced with an aftermarket one. I say remove it if you don't need it for street compliance.

-Greg

8. xroadsimport

xroadsimport Member

We are the best place for parts. Don't have a banner up but we are a supporting member. We either have or can have within 2 weeks any parts bumper to bumper. We also will ship used and rebuilt engines soon. We can also rebuild your engine if it gets that far but it doesn't sound that bad.

9. tbrokaw

tbrokaw New Member

Help Please!

Firemanscottc-
    Hi-I sure hope that you can help me out.I have a 2002 Suzuki carry DA62T W/F6A and 32k miles with the EXACT same symptoms.Ran good the first 25-28 miles after purchase,Pushed in clutch to stop,Truck died.Starts ok,no idle,no top end power.New air cleaner-no help.Pulled coil packs-all ok.Pulled plugs-all black with gas on them.I just got the new plugs yesterday.My owners manual and service manual will be here today,so I can see what the gap is.I have been all over this forum and seen advice on everything from jumped time to IAC valves to bad catalatic converters.I have called several dealers that also do repair.I have been told every thing from throttle body position sensors to simple vacume leaks.I live in a very remote mountain location in New Mexico,and the closest town is only 50000 population,and 1.5 hour away.I cannot find a mechanic that will even look at it.The auto mechanics tell me to go to a motorcycle mechanic,and the motorcycle mechanics tell me to go to an import mechanic I am hoping since you have a mechanic that you have been able to eliminate a bunch of the smaller items and I can narrow it down to something I can order an repair myself.Also do you live at any altitude?I run from 6500'to 9000' in my playground.I'm starting to think a Polaris Ranger would have been a better choice.:(Any help is greatly appreciated.Thanks
    Thom :frustration:

10. Firemanscottc

Firemanscottc New Member

tbrokaw,
    i am still working on my truck. i have a TPS(throttle position sensor) on the way. there are only a few things that can be wrong with my truck. I have also lost gas mileage i took out my O2 sensor and checked for back pressure using a back pressure gauge to see if my catalytic converter was stopped up and i had no back pressure. you can also look at your exhaust to see if it is getting red hot because it is stopped up. i have talked to a guy in Japan and he told me that the TPS controls a lot of things on the motor. it control how the timing is advanced using the cam sensor, the speed of the truck,air idle control(AIC)sensor, and others. he knows a lot about these trucks and said he would start with the TPS. If you can, check you vacuum. mine had 17lbs which should be plenty. if you use a vacuum gauge it should have some marks showing you have good compression. first thing i would do is reset your computer. to do that, take the (-) battery connection off for about 30 min. then reconnect it. if you unplug any sensors on your truck you need to unplug the (-) post before you do it. you can send me your email and i can send you my emails with the guy in Japan.

11. Firemanscottc

Firemanscottc New Member

Fixed

I got my truck fixed last week. I checked the timing and it was off a little but that was not the problem. I checked for back pressure in exhaust, I changed Throttle position sensor(TPS), all with no luck. I took the Air Idle Control(AIC) sensor out and it fell apart. I put a used throttle body on my truck and replaced the Water Pressure sensor and my truck runs great. I have learned a lot about these trucks and have had some good advice from new friends in Japan. Don and James have helped me get the parts I needed. Their company name is Yokohama Motors. Their web site is (info@yokohamamotors.com). Auction site is www.AutoAuctionJapan.com.

12. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

So what do you think it was the AIC or throttle body? What the heck does the water presure sensor do?

13. greg0187

Gladd to hear you got her going. I kind of figured it was something in the idle circuit.

-Greg

14. Firemanscottc

Firemanscottc New Member

The AIC was the problem because it fell apart when i took it out and the water pressure sensor was leaking water around the plug pins on the inside of the sensor. I got the used throttle body at a great price so I just changed the whole thing. the water pressure sensor tells the computer the temp of the water and the computer adjust the the idle and timming i think.