1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2001 S210P radio install (part 1)

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by Inane2, May 8, 2011.

1. Inane2

Inane2 Member

Hey guys, wanted to share my radio install on my newly acquired Hijet. This was my third order of business after I got my truck. The second was a thorough cleaning and the first I can't mention here!:cool:

My mini had factory speakers in the doors. The radio had been replaced with a Panasonic AM/FM with cassette. It had the factory storage tray below it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Start by popping off the trim bezel around the radio. It is held in by 3 or 4 retaining pins on each side but it comes off very easy. You can leave the ashtray in place but will need to unplug the cigarette lighter.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Once the bezel is removed, you will have access to 4 phillips screws holding the radio and storage tray in place.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Once the assembly is out of the dash, I removed the factory mounting brackets from the radio and storage tray. (My radio went straight to the garbage while I held onto the storage tray.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This was the wiring mess I was left with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The previous owner had done a nice job of not cutting any wires. Apparently, he had purchased a Daihatsu jumper connector like what we have here in the US for Ford, GM, etc for installing aftermarket radios. This Daihatsu harness plugged into the factory radio connector in the dash and the other end plugged into the Panasonic connector. I removed this jumper and cut the ends off that plugged into the Panasonic unit.

Here is the radio I installed. It came out of a totaled 2010 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor. It is very basic, clock, AM/FM with AM1, FM1 and FM2 and 4 presets for each band. It is a true double din radio but is very shallow (doesn't have much depth). I also cut out the stock wiring harness for this radio.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I removed the Ford mounting tabs seen here :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I replaced them with the Daihatsu mounting brackets. I used the Ford screws, they are very small torx screws. If you notice, I only used 1 per side instead of 2. I was lucky in that 1 screw hole in the Daihatsu bracket lined up with 1 mounting hole in each side of the Ford radio. I didn't think drilling a second new hole in the Daihatsu bracket was necessary.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    After test mounting the radio in the dash, I realized I couldn't get the trim back over the radio. I took a utility knife and removed the left edge of the trim and it would then slip right over the radio. This plastic cut easily, I scored it a few times and it came right off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    Acerguy likes this.
  2. Inane2

Inane2 Member

2001 S210P radio install (part 2)

(cont.):pop:

Here is the new harness I made. The left half of the harness is the Ford OEM connector. There were several unused wires on this end as this was a 4 speaker set-up in the cruiser. The right half of the harness was from the Daihatsu jumper I mentioned earlier. I kept the female end that accepts the male connector already in the dash. I just cut the old Panasonic leads off and connected them to the Ford wires. I used some good crimp / heat shrink connectors (they're pink).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is the wiring diagram on my 01'. I would expect it to be the same or very close to other model years of 210's. Pretty easy with a test light to figure it out. I used a 9 volt battery to check for the correct speaker polarity.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is the radio in the dash screwed in minus the trim :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is the finished product :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think it looks pretty much OEM and it sounds great. This was pretty straight forward, somewhat plug and play after I had made the harness.

A few notes : -There is plenty of room for a CD player here, even a big one (full double din front and rear). -With some aftermarket radios, I really doubt you would have to trim the bezel out at all. -Since I only used 1 mounting screw for the brackets on each side of the radio, it allowed me to adjust or tilt the radio to my liking, then I went back in and tightened the screws pretty good. -On the trucks with the stock mono radios, you'll just have to cut the OEM connector and go from there. I did some quick looking around on-line and didn't have much luck finding that Daihatsu connector is the US.

I might upgrade my speakers next. They are 4" Panasonics rated at 10 watts. I realize the radio is stock and not a thumper but I think a decent set of speakers can't hurt.

Hope that helps guys. Think I'll go drink another cold one.:D

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  3. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Fantastic writeup!! Thanks. This helps me a lot as replacing the mono radio is coming up on my upgrade list. Good to hear that depth is not a problem. :)

4. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB Member

You're giving me some motivation to get going on my stereo. My truck has the factory tape/am/fm but doesn't pick up many US stations. I've been using my mp3 or XM through the tape deck adapter so far. I'm thinking about removing the factory grills and putting larger 5.25" or 6.5" in the doors w/ new grills. Also been thinking a band-pass sub enclosure mounted in my storage box in the bed and ducted thru the back wall would be sweet...

5. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

Excellent write up.....nice job on the install:)

6. erixun

erixun Member

Very nice post, job well done! Thanks for posting with all the details and pictures! And interesting choice in a radio, cool that you had all the connectors and such to make such a clean install! :D

Two thumbs up!

7. Inane2

Inane2 Member

Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed the post. I realize there is a bit of a learning curve with the S210's due to the lack of translated service manuals. That's why I really wanted to get my generic Microsoft paint connector diagram up for others to use.

Been checking out 4" replacement speakers. Looks like $35-40 will get me a good set of Sony or Pioneer 2 ways, about 25 watts. They'd probably sound great with my stock Ford radio.

I do like Bob's woofer idea.........:cool:

8. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Lookin good! Those are exactly what those loose connectors are for behind the bumper. Door speakers! I always wondered where those extra wires went from behind the radio. Sweet, makes my job easier and im pretty sure the doors already have the cutouts. Now i gotta just get me some speakers. Let me know what you find that fits in the stock location.

9. greg0187

Just installed a new radio. Schematic was spot on for my 99 S210. Thanks! Installing speakers tomorrow. :D

10. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB Member

Harness adapter...

In case it hasn't been mentioned, the S210P trucks use a standard Toyota stereo adapter harness you can buy at Walmart, etc. Just put a new Sony head in my truck a couple weeks ago, no cutting or mods necessary. It even bolted right in the factory mounts just like the stock radio.

Bob

11. greg0187

Thats good info bob. Wish I would of known about the adaptor before I cut my harness when I put the first radio in. Same here. Sony radio bolted right in.

12. Inane2

Inane2 Member

Just fixed the image hosting on this old thread.

greg0187 likes this.
  13. allen0288

allen0288 Member

Just installed a new Kenwood deck with touch screen and apple car play. Navigation for the deer lease. Thanks lnane2 for the wiring tip.

Attached Files:

14. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Looks good. Did you change out the door speakers?

15. allen0288

allen0288 Member

The van had no speakers in it. Installed new speakers as well.