1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2001 Carry CV Joint Is It Bad

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by mtnxtreme, Feb 1, 2019.

1. mtnxtreme

mtnxtreme Member

This may be a dumb question, but if I can grab one end of the CV axle and the joint kinda pulls apart, but can be pushed back together is the joint bad ?

2. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Active Member

The CV joints will have a certain amount of "end play" or "float" in order to work and compensate for the difference in length when the suspension is in compressed or extended position. Normally bad joints will be indicated by a "clicking" noise while negotiating a corner and/or having torsional slack when holding one side of the joint solid and trying to twist the other side of the joint.

Fred

mtnxtreme likes this.
  3. Maximal

Maximal Member

pretty much the above, its normal. 90% of the time when a front CV axle is toast, the boot rips open first then eventually when its in 4WD/has load and you take a turn it makes a loud continuous clicking noise

mtnxtreme likes this.
  4. mtnxtreme

mtnxtreme Member

Thanks

5. mtnxtreme

mtnxtreme Member

Has anyone ever replaced the joints, is it a pain ? I can get the outer kit with boot, somehow the shaft pops into it, I'm guessing a circlip ? I can get the inner, but it's a total disassemble bearings race, etc. and install new into old housing, not like the outer where its already assembled ?