1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 to 4 wheel drive conversion

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by RACINGCEE, May 6, 2011.

1. RACINGCEE

RACINGCEE New Member

Hi can I convert my hi jet 2WD to 4WD ? Thanks from sunny Scotland

2. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

The general consensus is yes... but it'll probably cost you more and not be as reliable as just selling your 2wd and buying a 4wd.

3. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

indeed with what ironraven says. it can be done but its not that simple. suspension, vac lines, transmission, transfer case, drive shafts etc.

4. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

I will 3 rd. that.

5. MiniBrutes

MiniBrutes Member

Much easier to convert a 4WD to 2WD ;)

6. GR.mike

GR.mike Member

yes very hard and costly. You can give Derek a call and he can quote you a price for the parts you will need and give you an idea of the time and process you will be taking on and see if it is worth it to you

7. RACINGCEE

RACINGCEE New Member

4x4

Thanks for the info ! Just started a total refurb on my 1992 hi jet pickup 2 wheel drive so looked at the conversion as I will have the truck stripped right down to the bare chassis , may. Keep a eye open for a scrap 4 x 4 as a doner for parts but they are scarce here in the UK ! What about fitting the 4 x 4 rear axle ? This should give me the option of locking the diff !! Also any one help out with a workshop manual and a parts manual, thanks
    Ps great site by the way !

8. mtr250r

mtr250r New Member

I've got the same question but may be in better shape since my 1993 HiJet S80LP DRK LHD has a transfer case with the front drive shaft snout. I'm not sure if the front gears are inside the t-case but I can shift from L to H on lever by E-brake after pulling the E-clip. If all I need are the front diff assembly and drive shaft then it may be worth it but if I have to tear open the T-case to add gears then I'll pass. Any thoughts on where to find parts in Los Angeles and if the gears are already in the T-case?